Brush Storage

Make-up and brush storage
Kay

Re: Brush Storage

Postby Kay » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:39 am

Bea, I've lined bottoms of wooden boxes by cutting a piece of hard cardboard slightly smaller than the bottom and wrapping a piece of leather around it. I cut the leather about an inch larger on each side and hold everything in place with rubber cement and/or tape. I cut the corners off on the diagonal before taping as the overlapped leather at the corners gets too thick. The cardboard covered piece is then dropped into the bottom of the box, tape side down. Looks gorgeous and expensive.

For your kimono fabric, I suggest using cardboard or maybe even that styrofoam type of posterboard. Cut a piece of felt the same size to pad the cardboard. Then wrap your fabric, cut maybe 2-3" larger on each side around the cardboard/felt and tape in place. Don't cut the corners, just miter or fold them neatly. If you need to wash or want to change your fabric selection, remove the tape, wash/dry/iron and redo taping. Have fun!

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:10 am

Oh wow! Thank you so much for all the ideas Kay! Loving all the SMUTties' creativeness! :ty: :clap: :clap: :dance:

And I just unearthed a roll of double sided tape! :lol: :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Tara

Postby Tara » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:13 am

Hi, guys. Just came upon this particular discussion. I love all the ideas and would love to see what you have come up with. I also have the Alex drawers. They are still empty while i decide how to store the brushes... can't wait to hear more ideas! keep 'em coming! I am completely stumped! :confusion-seeingstars:

Kay

Postby Kay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 am

I saw a very nice compact desktop wooden brush storage that a blogger had custom made. I did not order but thought I'd share the link to her site in case anyone is interested. Sorry, no photo shown here as it is prohibited. http://alittledabintomakeup.blogspot.com/

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:56 pm

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing Kay! :ty: :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:29 pm

That is very nice, Kay. :ty: for sharing.

Made on request in Texas, may be tempting for some of you US girls :D

decibelle

Postby decibelle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:38 am

Those organisers truly are splendid-looking, thank you so much Kay! :) :) :)

For people who read this in future (ootcher ... ootcher ...), here is a direct link to the post:

http://alittledabintomakeup.blogspot.co ... ushes.html

gatos

Postby gatos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Kay wrote:
IMG_2610.jpg
IMG_2611.jpg
IMG_2613.jpg
Over the past 4 years, I've tried a number of ways to organize my eye brushes and none were completely satisfactory until I figured out a way to separate different sizes and types so I can easily find what I need. I used Suqqu eyeshadow quad cardboard (very stiff and thin) and tape to create a flexible divider to separate large and small laydown, blending, pencil, detail and eyeliner brushes. Just cut the cardboard to fit the cup and tape in as many sections as you want. Because the cardboard pieces are held together with tape, any section can expand depending on how many you put in there. If the sections don't swing freely, trim until they do. Unless you use a clear cup, the dividers are pretty invisible. I know this sounds a little dorky, but it works so beautifully that I wanted to share the idea. I have another similar cup for brushes I use for cream products. Cups are stored in my bathroom cabinet to keep them dust free and accessible.

Kay, yesterday I was thinking, how can I get my damn lip brushes to stop touching my eyeliner and cream shadow brushes in my little cup?! (all the sticky ones are in a cup together) when I remembered this old post of yours. I destroyed a suqqu box asap and am now the proud owner of a "Kay brush separating contraption" which works really well. I followed all your recommendations when building it of course, and you can't even tell it's there :D Thanks for the handy solution Kay! :ty:

Tara

Postby Tara » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:38 am

Kay wrote:I saw a very nice compact desktop wooden brush storage that a blogger had custom made. I did not order but thought I'd share the link to her site in case anyone is interested. Sorry, no photo shown here as it is prohibited. http://alittledabintomakeup.blogspot.com/

These are beautiful! :D i will put this on my list of things to have made for my brushes, but will modify or add something for kabukis! Thanks for sharing, Kay. :D

Return to “Storage and organization”