Re: Brush Storage

Postby Kay » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:54 am

IMG_2610.jpg
IMG_2610.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
IMG_2611.jpg
IMG_2611.jpg (10.16 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
IMG_2613.jpg
IMG_2613.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 6987 times
Over the past 4 years, I've tried a number of ways to organize my eye brushes and none were completely satisfactory until I figured out a way to separate different sizes and types so I can easily find what I need. I used Suqqu eyeshadow quad cardboard (very stiff and thin) and tape to create a flexible divider to separate large and small laydown, blending, pencil, detail and eyeliner brushes. Just cut the cardboard to fit the cup and tape in as many sections as you want. Because the cardboard pieces are held together with tape, any section can expand depending on how many you put in there. If the sections don't swing freely, trim until they do. Unless you use a clear cup, the dividers are pretty invisible. I know this sounds a little dorky, but it works so beautifully that I wanted to share the idea. I have another similar cup for brushes I use for cream products. Cups are stored in my bathroom cabinet to keep them dust free and accessible.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am

waw this is awesome Kay :clap:
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Devin

Postby Devin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:00 pm

That is a great idea Kay! I have clear containers but I know I could replicate it with some clear materials. I am definitely going to try this out, thanks.

Kay

Postby Kay » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:00 am

Hi Devin, so happy you are thinking of trying it as I love mine. Keeps me sane as I don't have to search for short brushes that get lost among the taller ones!

Couple of tips:
You can make the cardboard pieces taller than your cup to keep brushes more erect which I think makes it easier to find a brush, or you can keep them even with the top, it's whatever you find more pleasing.

And, it's a temptation to keep one solid piece of cardboard running across the diameter of the cup, but don't do that. I did that in earlier prototypes thinking it was necessary for stability, but it isn't, and the end product doesn't work half as well. You can make that piece first but cut it in half from top to bottom to make templates for the other pieces.

Happy cutting and taping!

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 am

Kay, what a truly innovative, great idea! Thanks :ty:

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:06 am

I saw this drawer organizer at the Container Store and thought of you guys with the gianormous brush collections.

I think it's supposed to be for people who need to compartmentalize socks or something.

But it could be like having 8 cups for brushes, and the bottom was slightly padded, too. :D

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:24 pm

With all my frenzied brush buying lately, where to store them has become a problem for me again. I was on Pinterest and found this. It reminded me that I had this idea a long time ago when I came across the Muji brand but forgot all about it. I like how you can see the brushes inside. I would have to have somewhere else to store my kabukis though unless I can find drawers that are deep enough. I would rather have a separate one for them that sits on top of the rest of the drawers I think. Now to find affordable ones without shipping breaking the bank. :character-oldtimer:

http://www.itsagandechlife.blogspot.ca/2012/03/dust-free-brushes-makeup-brush-holder.html?m=1
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Kay

Postby Kay » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:40 am

A number of SMUT members have been concerned about flat brush heads when laid flat, or damaged handles when stored upright. I'm posting this because I think a soft box is a great solution and maybe someone viewing this will manufacture!

This soft box was a free gift with purchase last year from Koh Gen Do. I think it was for makeup storage but it works really well for brushes. It's made of sturdy nylon or polyester and feels padded. 5" x 5" base and 3" high if any of you want to try making your own. Brushes are easily inserted on both sides of the "webbing." The webbing is simply a strip of the same type of fabric stitched from the top to the bottom at intervals to form little pockets. I use a juice glass in the center to hold small brushes as there is no webbing in the center to keep brushes upright. Can hold about 20 face brushes on the perimeter. (I took some out for the photo so you can see it better.)

Sorry for the sideways photos but after a couple of hours trying, I give up!
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (28.39 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (23.81 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Last edited by Kay on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:46 am

[quote="Kay"]A number of SMUT members have been concerned about flat brush heads when laid flat, or damaged handles when stored upright. I'm posting this because I think a soft box is a great solution and maybe someone viewing this will manufacture!

This soft box was a free gift with purchase last year from Koh Gen Do. It's made of sturdy nylon or polyester and feels padded. 5" x 5" base and 3" high if any of you want to try making your own. Brushes are easily inserted on both sides of the "webbing." The webbing is simply a strip of the same type of fabric stitched from the top to the bottom at intervals to form little pockets. I use a juice glass in the center to hold small brushes as there is no webbing in the center to keep brushes upright. Can hold about 20 face brushes on the perimeter. (I took some out for the photo so you can see it better.)
---------------------------------
I have two of these! Love them! Artisan & Artist have these too and I saw that they used to sell a larger version which unfortunately looks to be discontinued or else I would have gotten one! I have been scouring the internet to find a similar one but nada. :doh: :cry: The only one that I found that is similar is the Chomotto Beaute but it's even smaller and it's not the soft kind. If anyone knows where I can find these containers aside from the A&A website, please let me know! :character-oldtimer:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

gatos

Postby gatos » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:53 am

Bea, I think A&A also sells theirs on amazon.jp. I had forgotten about these! Thank you Kay, maybe I should get one of these for my everyday brushes :)

Return to “Storage and organization”