A new project starts

Make-up and brush storage
SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

A new project starts

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Since we are renovating the house, I will be able to move all my things to a new room, well my office, the guest room, the beauty corner all in one, if you have any ideas or saw some nice organization scenarios to keep all that in the same little room... I would be grateful to get your input. I already have an idea of what I want and fighting to get it installed ;)
Do you have a dream of what the perfect beauty room would look like ?
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Ann C.

Re: A new project starts

Postby Ann C. » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi Sonia! I love watching Makeup Collection & Storage on youtube. I noticed most of the beauty gurus use Ikea Alex drawers to keep their makeup products with drawer organizers inside. If only Ikea is available in the Philippines I would buy it for me.

I know you already have a dream cabinet/case for your makeup brushes but I have an idea about using Ikea Besta units as a display cabinet.You can even use them to display your makeup or perfumes. - Yes, I have searched Ikea website and look for storage unit we can use - I was thinking of using best storage unit together with inreda glass insert.
If I couldn't assemble these because of logistics, at least I hope someone else with access with Ikea could. ;)

*** Sorry, I just read rules and regulations. I am not affiliated in anyway to Ikea. I just saw a lot of their storage unit used by beauty gurus in youtube. :)
Last edited by Ann C. on Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle

Postby Michelle » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I think the makeup storage / organization part is my favorite! Since I've grown my makeup collection by leaps and bounds in the last 6 months and now brushes I need an area. we need to wait until we buy a new bedroom set (it's all picked out-but have another home improvement project coming in September a but here is my plan and already discussed with hubby:

we have a nook area in bedroom between a closet and the chimney. i want to pick out a long, narrow cabinet (same finish as bedroom furniture) so i can store my hair dryer, flat iron, hair products in etc. then have custom made cabinets (drawers) some shallow to hold makeup, similar to desk or a bathroom vanity stack of drawers and then a slab of granite as the top! I've already called a local granite guy that we know and they get scraps all the time. then i can mount a mirror. I made sure i told my husband since we won't be adding an addition anytime soon for a master bathroom and that this would be much cheaper, I've convinced him :mrgreen:

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:43 am

Ann C. wrote:Hi Sonia! I love watching Makeup Collection & Storage on youtube. I noticed most of the beauty gurus use Ikea Alex drawers to keep their makeup products with drawer organizers inside. If only Ikea is available in the Philippines I would buy it for me.

I know you already have a dream cabinet/case for your makeup brushes but I have an idea about using Ikea Besta units as a display cabinet.You can even use them to display your makeup or perfumes. - Yes, I have searched Ikea website and look for storage unit we can use - I was thinking of using best storage unit together with inreda glass insert.
If I couldn't assemble these because of logistics, at least I hope someone else with access with Ikea could. ;)

*** Sorry, I just read rules and regulations. I am not affiliated in anyway to Ikea. I just saw a lot of their storage unit used by beauty gurus in youtube. :)

don't worry Ann ! I just don't wish people advertise for their own benefit or mislead us for commercial reasons, I know you are absolutely not doing that :lol:
Yes I plan to get the white laquered one from Ikea (the very narrow long one), my bf says it won't fit, I say it definitely would ! :laughing-rolling:
what "Best" storage are you thinking of ?
actually in Ikea again they have new kitchen working surfaces (don't know the name in english) but I plan to install kitchen drawer units with white laquered covers and to link them on top I would put a whitish transparent glass working surface (the one that's marked new in their shop). I would put my computer on it and use the perfect sized drawers to store the makeup items.
I noticed the Alex are very deep (the narrower ones), the larger Alex ones are less deep (from the wall) so it leaves more space in the room, that was my initial option but my bf gave me the idea of the nice and modern kitchen units and actually it's not a bad idea at all, the drawers are more solid and the perfect size. Alex drawers can be too thin if you want to store palettes or blushes and other usual dressers tend to be too thick so space is wasted between each drawer.

The other storage I was thinking for brushes, a thin gallery dresser that hangs on the wall, has lights inside and has glass sliding doors, I went to ask for the prices and I was in shock, it costs 1500usd... so my bf said he would build me one exactly the same :)

In my opinion Ikea will also conquer the Philippines soon ! just a matter of time.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:52 am

Michelle wrote:I think the makeup storage / organization part is my favorite! Since I've grown my makeup collection by leaps and bounds in the last 6 months and now brushes I need an area. we need to wait until we buy a new bedroom set (it's all picked out-but have another home improvement project coming in September a but here is my plan and already discussed with hubby:

we have a nook area in bedroom between a closet and the chimney. i want to pick out a long, narrow cabinet (same finish as bedroom furniture) so i can store my hair dryer, flat iron, hair products in etc. then have custom made cabinets (drawers) some shallow to hold makeup, similar to desk or a bathroom vanity stack of drawers and then a slab of granite as the top! I've already called a local granite guy that we know and they get scraps all the time. then i can mount a mirror. I made sure i told my husband since we won't be adding an addition anytime soon for a master bathroom and that this would be much cheaper, I've convinced him :mrgreen:

Nice ! It's a great plan you have there, well done for the convincing part :lol: it's the most difficult one I believe, send us pics when you have it, I would love to see that !

Ann C.

Postby Ann C. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi Sonia! I hope Ikea will conquer Philippines.
The Besta storage I was talking about are these
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79895416/
Inreda shelf insert
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50196542/

but since you like more space friendly display case with lights

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79885969/

with Inreda lights

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10192107/

Obviously, I really did research on this.. :D

But having someone build a display case for your brushes according to your specifications are much better, and sometimes cheaper.Plus, you will be a lot happier if you got them exactly as you want them to look and function. :)

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Anne, that's fantastic ! I don't know why I haven't seen these. My bf likes them he even suggested I take two :D The problem is that with the house renovation he hasn't much time so if I find a solution that is easier for both it's more convenient. Cool one thing
I see you already did quite a research !!! Since I had the one other in mind I haven't look for others I guess, glad you told me !

Ann C.

Postby Ann C. » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am

Im so glad you like them! Please send me or better yet make a post after the renovations on how they turned out.

Im such an obsessed geek when I like something. We didn't even have Ikea here but I still browsed through all their storage units. :D

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Come on, how do you expect us to virtual interior decorate with so little to go on? What's the shape of the room, dimensions, where's the window/door etc - I need a vague blueprint :D !

I love IKEA! Probably because we don't have it... I've spent a shocking amount of time on their website, decorating at least 7 nonexistent rooms :| .

Anyway, since you're starting from scratch it's an amazing opportunity to be creative and get your dream space. IKEA furniture on its own is incredibly bland and the quality is so-so... However, it's possible to use it as a base and with a little improvisation, make it almost unrecognizable. They've used IKEA furniture in the shop where I work, so it's not so obvious - deconstructed bookshelves as hangers etc... They have this table (the legs):
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39002017/ but instead of the glass counter top they've used something like this (not exactly this, the dimensions don't match, I'm sure theirs is from IKEA too but either it's discontinued or I can't find it): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30193304/ So it's like an improvised display case (there's jewelry there).

Which leads me to the point I wanted to make. I think, rather than looking at an upright display case you should look for options to make your desk/vanity a sort of display case, where the top is glass and you can see into the top drawers and that's where your brushes could live. Say you had 2-3 drawers throughout the total length of your desk, you could have your brushes organized within the drawers (probably not all of them, or then again, depending on how much space you have, there could be two-three desks creating a sort of beauty cockpit, while you sit surrounded by them in a Herman Miller chair like the chief commander), either in beautiful boxes that they came in, or you could get ones that match the brand or series out of nepalese paper etc... And line the drawers with LED light strips.

Just a couple of thoughts. And perhaps check out the Sveio http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=sveio and Nyvoll http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=NYVOLL drawer solutions. It's just... I've seen a lot of makeup and storage collections on youtube too, and whenever they use units like Alex or other cold, utilitarian shelving solutions, it takes away from a home feeling like a home. Your home shouldn't feel like a shop or a warehouse ;)
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:30 pm

ok Olga... your ideas are amazing, I have been browsing and I love them, but what else to expect from you??
the dimensions are tiny (approx 9m2) and not totally known yet, because the room will be insulated so it may shrink, the windows will be two (there is only one for now but a second will be added next month), I don't have the final specs yet but it's not big at all so it has to be calculated to the cm.
Your idea of transparent drawers under the desk is spot on, this will be done ! Since my computer screen will be hanging on the wall, that is totally possible. I had already thought of a transparent working space so that fits totally together. Also the display cabinet type of thing was also in my mind because I kept a lot of R&R empty compacts to create a sort of base, anyway, you will see what I mean by that...
I still have at least one month to design the base ideas before I buy some furniture, when I am back from Scotland I will actively seek for solutions, then I will filter them out when I know the final dimensions.
I am also thinking of some kind of Japanese curtains, vibrant colors for the room but I don't like leopard, pink or flowery prints, just very simple, and I love leather, I would love a big huge leather elegant chair, but then it will depend on what I can afford :(
but I do have creativity, I can't wait to start !

Return to “Storage and organization”