Lego brush stand prototype

Make-up and brush storage
dusty

Lego brush stand prototype

Postby dusty » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:58 am

This is stand is designed to hold large face brushes in a drawer.

I just got this vanity table from Ikea (picture taken from Internet)
Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 11.32.18 PM.png
ikea vanity table

The drawer of the table is really nice, wide, not too deep, not too shallow; very good for storing make up. Best part is that I only need to open one drawer to see all my makeup :dance: It also has the perfect depth to store brushes. So I build my very first brush stand with bricks from a lego pencil holder (picture taken from Internet... mine is disassembled lol)
lego pencil holder.jpg
lego pencil holder

So I built one today. Here are my goals for the stand.
1. Hold brushes so the hair is not touch anything
2. Stabilize brushes so they will not be displaced with REGULAR open/close drawer movement. The key point is regular movement. Knowing who I am, I will not really use the stand (or the drawer) if I have to be extra careful opening the drawer every time. And many times I have forceful movement let along regular movement lol.
3. VERY easy and natural to retrieve brushes from the stand and put them back. I am really bad at keeping things organized, unless it is effortless.

So I built this ( It is so ugly T,T good that the lego structure is not very noticeable once brushes are on)
Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 11.47.25 PM.png
empty stand
Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 11.47.25 PM.png (145.91 KiB) Viewed 6518 times

With brush on:
Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 11.45.36 PM.png
brushes on stand

It is hard to tell from the picture, but from the top, the 2nd brush is angled (Hak G5542) & 3rd brush is a flat round brush (G5519) & 6th brush (2nd from bottom) is a smaller angled (Hak G504) & the bottom pedal brush is very flat
(G5542. picture taken from Internet)
(G5519. The 1st one from the right. Picture taken from brush temple)
(G504. The 1st one from the right. Picture taken from Sonia)

Storing these brushes side ways saves a lot of space so I manage to squeeze in the Z4. I could have place the brushes closer together but then the hair would touch the handles. On this prototype, the hair does not touch anything. First goal check.

What amazed me is how well the stand holds the brush. I did a drawer shaking experiment by open and close the drawer forcefully and rapidly. My brushes barely moved. AND the stand did not move at all :o :o :o
I even shot an youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GiZfU ... e=youtu.be

The noise made from the lipsticks should give you an idea how much force was in that video. My regular opening/closing drawer movement does not cause that much noise from the lipsticks. Second goal check.

Notice how the mini pedal brush and the Z4 brush spots have a little wall at the end of the handle to prevent those two brushes from slipping. I really like that; but I am running out of bricks to add the walls for the rest of the brushes lol.

Now I am going to use these brushes as usual for the rest of the week to see if the 3rd goal is achieved. I have a feeling it is. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bonus: untill I got a brush tree, this should be good to dry the brushes as well? (maybe I wont need one lol)

Sorry about the long post. I would love to hear your thoughts or suggestions for improvement. I am very glad that finally my brushes (especially G5519) are moving to a better place! They have been through tough times.....

Dusty

Carlyn

Re: Lego brush stand prototype

Postby Carlyn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Dusty, that's a super creative idea, I love it. I store my face brushes in a similar fashion, but I use the non-slip drawer liners on the bottom, then I roll two lengths where I put the brushes on, one under the ferrule and one under the lower part of the handle. Since it's non skid, my brushes don't move. It's still kinda messy in those drawers because I have too many in one place, but I've bought 2 Alex drawers to re-organize my makeup and brushes. I don't have time to put them together yet, I have some online recertifications to work on, but hopefully by next week they will be done.

Do you have something non-skid under the Lego stand so the whole thing doesn't shift around, or does it just stay put? I love the creativity in this place. Thanks for sharing.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Definitely interesting to see others' solutions. Thanks for posting, Dusty!

Carlyn, we need a pic of what you're doing with the drawer liners pre-reorganization. Thanks!

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:29 pm

Wow Dusty u did such an amazing creative job :clap:
I saw this on Mizuho IG page a while back and maybe styro foam will work too somehow?
Attachments
image.jpg
My IG: @nluvsbeauty
Beauty is in the eye of the
brush hoarder ;-)

Kay

Postby Kay » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Such fun and creative ideas! It's gotten me thinking...

Recently, we replaced our leather furniture and a non-profit refused our old stuff because the seats had started to crack. I was staring at them and realized the backs were flawless --- so took my Exacto knife and stripped the entire back off the sofas. I am now thinking of taking a strip longer than the width of a box drawer and creating ripples using rubber cement, you know, like a continuous cursive w...in essence creating little channels. Not for my brushes as i don't store them flat, but for a pen drawer.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Melissa wrote:I saw this on Mizuho IG page a while back and maybe styro foam will work too somehow?

gatos

Postby gatos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:02 pm

dusty, that is really cool and creative! I showed it to my BF who is a major Lego nerd and he is so impressed. Let us know how the whole setup works out! :clap: :)

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:22 pm

OMG I was just bemoaning the fact that my brushes were sliding around whenever I opened and closed my Alex drawers and now I see this post! Dusty that is a really nifty idea! I can't wait to see its progress and how your design unfolds until the finished product! And Carlyn and Kay we need to see pics of what you guys have done to solve your own pesky little brush storage challenges! :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

dusty

Postby dusty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:51 am

Thanks everyone! Will definitely upload my progress here!

Carlyn wrote:Do you have something non-skid under the Lego stand so the whole thing doesn't shift around, or does it just stay put?

Hi Carlyn, yes there is some sort of non-skid matt come with the table. I think it definitely helps, but probably not much. When my kabuki brush is standing free in the drawer, it would be displaced or lay flat due to the movement of closing/opening. The plastic & cardboard organizers also displace about 2 ~ 3 cm on a daily basis. However the lego stand does not move. I will dig up the Ikea instruction booklet to see if there is a name for the matt.

gatos wrote:dusty, that is really cool and creative! I showed it to my BF who is a major Lego nerd and he is so impressed. Let us know how the whole setup works out! :clap: :)

gatos, I am flattered that I can impress a major Lego nerd! 8-) 8-) I am just a noobie in Lego! I had some Lego when I was a kid but nothing really happened.... Until I watched the Lego movie :angelic-innocent: :angelic-innocent:

Today I visited a Lego store and bought a jumbo cup of loose bricks! And the staff there show me a trick with hinge bricks...and now the possibility just went up exponentially! I am rebuilding the stand since I just got my Takeda foundies (they are so soft that I wanna die!!!!!) While trying out some of the irregular pieces I built this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.25.47 PM.png
kabuki stand
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.25.47 PM.png (276.28 KiB) Viewed 6338 times

This stand holds the brush nice and firm. It totally passed my drawer shaking test; in fact, the brush will not move even if I hold the green base and shake modestly. Rigorous shaking will only change the tilting direction of the brush.

The tilting posture lowered the highest point of the brush so it fits comfortably in my drawer. The posture also nicely displaces the handle of the brush. I am yet to fall in love with this brush but the kokutan handle is to die for....

The structure of this stand is pretty mature; I cannot add another piece to improve how the brush is held (with my current stash of pieces).

This stand makes a nice displace stand as well (after all the colours get coordinated of course). The clear piece in front of the yellow brick is a good place to attach a sticker/name tag!

Dusty

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 am

]
Lyanna Stark wrote:Definitely interesting to see others' solutions. Thanks for posting, Dusty!

Carlyn, we need a pic of what you're doing with the drawer liners pre-reorganization. Thanks!

This is what I've been doing. Finally put my Alex vanity together and transferring my clean brushes into it.
[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Storage and organization”