Custom vanity with brush storage

Make-up and brush storage
ghkim9

Custom vanity with brush storage

Postby ghkim9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Help! I am renovating and will be creating a built in vanity in the master bedroom for makeup, brushes, and hair stuff. I need ideas for how to build in brush storage into the vanity. I'd prefer to hang the brushes hair-down as much as possible (kind of like this: http://www.micromark.com/brush-holder,11247.html) since I don't like them getting crimped by laying them flat or storing them hair-up. Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this? From what I can tell not many other people try to store their brushes hair-down. Am I the only one?

arch

Re: Custom vanity with brush storage

Postby arch » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:42 pm

Yeah, I haven't really seen (m)any examples of brushes being stored hair-down, except for when a Benjabelle is used as a permanent display. Besides those types of (silicone) brush holders, there are also DIY drying racks based on elastics (i.e., hair ties) to hold a brush upside-down. Also, here's another option from Sigma that has a similar concept to the brush holder you already linked to.

Admittedly it would take up more space, but have you considered the Melissa tool/method, which would allow you to avoid crimping the bristles or having to store your brushes head-up?

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom vanity with brush storage

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:54 pm

Storing the brushes upside down is not that easy to achieve, often time or space consuming, or it depends on how many you have. Maybe with a few of them it's ok to use the Benjabelle tree, although I think it takes a lot of space.
If you were only using Rae Morris magnetic brushes then it's easy, you stick a thin metal plate under a shelf and you stick the brushes under, upside down.
I have been storing my brushes inside drawers and when I don't want the shape to be altered I store them like the pic Arch linked in the forum. But I don't have much space so I honestly cannot and accept they are not always stored to their best, however, they are in very good condition after all these years.
I think the most important thing is to avoid humidity but since you store them in your bedroom then that should not be a problem. It's a problem when brushes are stored in the bathroom and I really would avoid that.
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Return to “Storage and organization”