Shopping in Japan

212kiki

Shopping in Japan

Postby 212kiki » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:05 pm

For all of us who will visit Japan....
Some were there and also in different cities so you evtl. have some 'secret' shopping tips to share.
Crazy Sarah (me 8-) ) and Anna are thinking about a Japan trip this autumn. What is better than making this trip with brush friend ?
We need something to fill the looong time :character-oldtimer: till this moment so what is better than planning something ? :D The very first plans are Tokyo-Kyoto-Kumano(Hiroshima) so beauty shopping tips are welcome !
A little bird told me there will be a kumano brush festival in sept. so we will try to catch this one !

Gladys L.

Re: Shopping in Japan

Postby Gladys L. » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:54 am

Although buying from Japan (tax free) may be still far higher than your local price, and you may not use this airport, but I wanna attach this link for you.

Price list of tax free beauty products in duty-free shop of the Tokyo Haneda Airport:

https://duty-free-japan.jp/front/haneda ... e=2&cg=100

Bonnie

Postby Bonnie » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:07 am

Melissa half-planned my shopping trip for me!!!! That girl is a red squirrel brush.... a total gem :P

Just a few tips from me since I just returned (I am hoping to go again at the end of next year hahaha):

1. The airports have some good tax free shopping. THREE is 20% cheaper, RMK 25%. Jill Stuart, Lunasol etc are all there as well, but I didn't check out prices. Yojiya is there too, but I bought all my brushes from the Kyoto Gion store.

2. Drugstore shopping is fabulous. Some places offer tax free shopping too (I think it was about 5%) on certain items at presentation of your passport.

3. Some department shops offer tax free shopping. Not on beauty items, but for "accessories" like Hakuhodo brushes! Check out Mitsukoshi and Takashimaya :)

I'll drop more comments when I think of it, or if you have questions...ask away!

212kiki

Postby 212kiki » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:42 am

Haha sure I will squeeze all useful infos out of Melissa :angelic-red:

So Airport shopping first because of the discount...
I'm looking for Three, RMK and chicca blushes :D I won't be that much Chanel etc. over there but to have the chance to swatch some brands we don't have here will be nice !

Gladys L.

Postby Gladys L. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:49 pm

coupons

http://www.gotokyo.org/en/shopping/index.html

You may also find coupons for duty free shops in the Airport in free magazines there.

It's a pity that only department stores in Osaka and Tokyo's "Hankyu Men's" offer 5% off card for visitors, as soon as you show your passport...
http://www.hankyu-dept.co.jp/mens-tokyo/guestcoupon/

Gladys L.

Postby Gladys L. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't know if the other premium foundations (AQ, Twany Century, Albion Excia AL, Shiseido dicila, Noevir Speciale < ---well....) are available at the airport, but the latest one by Impress Granmula is available in duty-free shops! Worth trying before enjoying the big discount!

http://www.kanebo-cosmetics.jp/impress/ ... ation.html

laura

Postby laura » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:05 am

I like shopping in Shinjuku, I like department stores yet I dread them as I can't swatch anything in peace. In the center of the town, they can be quite crowded so if you want a more peaceful shopping experience my recommendation is to check out the cosmetics that aren't located in the first floor (they can sometimes be in 5th or 6th). I also love Isetan Mirror, they have many locations.

- Check out from Chikuhodo etc. website if they're coming in town
- New Years 1st-3rd are the best, as you can buy fukubukuro lucky packs ie. you pay a certain price and the value is much more, limited edition items but usually you don't know 100% what's inside. They sell out quickly.
- For strolling, I love Omotesando. It's expensive and crowded often, but I still love it, the Hakuhodo big store is also there (in a tricky location though)
- Drug stores have a lot of amazing things, Matsumoto Kiyoshi is spread everywhere, but I prefer some more peaceful and smaller chains. There are other shop chains too that sell cosmetics, such as Loft and Plaza. I recommend love stationary and all that home stuff, so Loft and Tokyu Hangs are a must.
- Don't just head for the big, expensive department store as Japan has so much to offer. Near busy train stations there's incredible fashion, small cities with incredible products, cosy shopping malls and everything between. I'm not so high on budget and dislike touristy places, so I usually head somewhere else.

I could write a longer post with some shopping etiquette or vocab, but I'm not sure if it's useful :P

sin

Postby sin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:15 am

laura, your post is very helpful. I would love to hear more about shopping etiquette and/or your shopping experience.

arch

Postby arch » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:42 am

+1
Your comments in Sonia's Japan Diary (e.g., omiyage, vocab.) have been incredibly interesting and I was hoping you would expand on them in the forum somewhere.

Buggsiebee

Postby Buggsiebee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am

@ Laura -
Yes please! Absolutely! If you have time I'm sure we'd all love to hear more. I find what you have written so far incredibly interesting & useful! :ty:

Return to “Shopping”