Products you've (actually) used up!

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Raglo

Products you've (actually) used up!

Postby Raglo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:39 am

That's right, all you beauty junkies, I want to know what you've actually used up today or yesterday or give or take a few days!

Now, I don't have a lot of stuff. I could probably fit all of my colour cosmetics (not skin care) into a 1L clear plastic bag (airport regulations... Not in anyway related, I just felt like mentioning that), but of even that stuff, I probably never use/dislike over half of it, and of the other part, I maybe use a third. So very little. And although there's not much to begin with, I find this feeling annoying. My daily look is very simple and yet the case I use for long cylindrical things like pencils, liners and mascara, is bursting at the seams and I couldn't possibly fit another thing in it...

I had this thought overall when assessing the things I have and the things I want and deciding that somethings MUST go before I can get what I really want, because they're not bad quality (for the most part), I've paid for them and there's no excuse. Unless there is!

Anyway! TODAY I finally threw away the worst foundation ever - Face Atelier Ultra Foundation in Zero Minus. It had maybe 1.5 uses in it, so I unscrewed the top and let it drip into a sample pot so I can use it up in the next day or so. I thought I'd keep the bottle and spent a €%#&* half an hour trying to get it clean (it's a water resistant formula) and gave up. It wasn't worth it... The bottle is crappy, the sticker's on crooked and the pump is an unpredictable cannon, why I wanted to salvage this wreck is beyond me. Wasted a ton of water, makeup and nail polish remover and just threw the damn thing away.

So I am beyond relieved to be rid of it!

Okay, this is an example of using up an unpleasant product out of a sense of... Something (honor? No, I don't think so... OCD? Yeah, probably). I'd love to know if you've used up something you hate and would gladly stick a "stay away, stay far, far away!" sign on, or something you love that you've got a backup of waiting in the drawer ;)
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

Raglo

Re: Products you've (actually) used up!

Postby Raglo » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:56 am

Okay, to illustrate my point - everything past the Givenchy mascara, really needn't be taking up space I don't have. I specifically placed it and the kohl pencil in the middle because they too are in limbo. Yes, I need a mascara, but I'm not a fan of that one and 100% have the "ugh, must I use it again" feeling every morning, and the kohl pencil... I don't know, I think it's something one should have, but it's not something I use (it came with the mascara), so I don't know if this one is actually any good compared to other ones.

The items on the left of the Givenchy, are things I really like, however, of them I only use the Shiseido brow pencil every day (there are two, the other, darker one, I use for additional depth sometimes, but rarely), everything on the right I really shouldn't be hanging on to. But I am.

Why are there two 98% used up and dry Chanel mascaras there? I don't know, only a therapist could answer that. I always keep the previous mascara around just in case (don't ask, I fully understand it's useless at that point), partly for the almost clean, dry brush to comb through brows and lashes. According to my own rule, there should only be one of them left, but I think because I'm not loving the Givenchy, I've kept both as a psychological safety net (what, why..?). :?

The two items on the right that I actually love, you can tell by how teeny tiny they are, are my HG brow pencil from YSL in ash blonde (which I can't get here anymore and it would be too much trouble/too expensive to order it, no point when the Shiseido is a very close II fav), of which there is 2cm of product left and you need tweezers to get it out of its tip because it's broken off the wood; and the pretty red, I think discontinued, lip liner from Clinique. I think I hang on to them for the same reason as the empty mascaras.

The two nude lipliners would look nice on someone with medium, olive skin. I look like a lady of the night from the 90s wearing either one. The Lumene one is pretty cheap so I shouldn't feel bad about getting rid of it (but I do), the darker one however, is Nina Ricci, and I've never seen NR cosmetics anywhere, so I feel like if I get rid of it, I'm killing an endangered species??

The Chanel eye pencil is probably in my top III worst cosmetics products ever list. It's quite old, I think they've changed it, but what I have is just dreadful... It's supposed to be black, but it applies grey, it's not soft enough to be a kohl, but it smears and gets everywhere as badly, except not when you apply it, oh no, it tugs on skin and refuses to stick when you do that, but it will transfer anywhere once you're done. Falls in crumbles like mascara beneath your lashes too. Absolute, colossal disappointment and utter waste of money (and I've bought it twice because back then I had no backbone and thou doth not question Chanel). There's also an Artistry twist up liner in a vague brown/purple colour, which I find useless, it does nothing, it's just too light. But then again, that makes it harmless and there isn't that much left, so hopefully I'll use it up soon.

And the eyeshadows there are just trying my patience... I've committed to using them every day, I don't care how long it takes, but I have to use them up. HAVE TO! Even though the colours make me sad and I would really love to be able to use something like Dior's Bikini or Shu Uemura's p light coral instead... :cry:
Attachments
mmm.jpg
I need to downsize...
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:33 am

Hi Olga,
is this related to the items we need to throw away (because we don't use them anymore) or to the items we force ourselves to use to feel better about our guilt ?
Or the products we managed to use up completely ? I have quite a few in this category, but often products that are not LE. When they are LE, I have panic attacks when I see dips forming :D
In the LE products the ones that I used up are Mac SHell pearl, Guerlain Bal de Minuit, Chanel Bois de Rose lipliner (LE? not sure), the Clarins Cotton Flower (sigh the perfect highlighter). But I do have backups :D
In the not LE I have some that I use up over and over again (RMK mascaras, Chantecaille Lip balm, a lot of Trish eyeshadows, some Mac (satin taupe and vanilla), the lipglosses that I always finish are the Rock and Republic, By Terry (all the glittery) and now Tom Ford Pink Guilt will be the next, I will use every little particle of that one...
I have used up a lot of eyeshadow primers or skincare. Maybe the one that I continually use up (that is a bit uncommon) is the Trish McEvoy Line refiner (to mention something that is not often considered in a makeup application) but it would take me ages to go through all the items I used up, which is good, I am proud of me...
I am less proud of the quantity I still have to use but I often keep them for review comparison. Before I had the blog, my mum was getting all that I wasn't keeping.

I admit I have items that I don't use because I have a bit too much to chose from, there are also items that I force myself to use despite not loving them (to justify the purchase but also because I may discover a new life for them while trying to get them to work), then there are also items that I love but that I don't use just because I don't want to run out... I am so complicated.
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:54 am

I mean it all! The things you force yourself to use up because you hate them, but feel guilty about having spent the money, and the things you've used up because they're amazing. You got it right ;).
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Anyway! TODAY I finally threw away the worst foundation ever - Face Atelier Ultra Foundation in Zero Minus. It had maybe 1.5 uses in it, so I unscrewed the top and let it drip into a sample pot so I can use it up in the next day or so. I thought I'd keep the bottle and spent a €%#&* half an hour trying to get it clean (it's a water resistant formula) and gave up. It wasn't worth it... The bottle is crappy, the sticker's on crooked and the pump is an unpredictable cannon, why I wanted to salvage this wreck is beyond me. Wasted a ton of water, makeup and nail polish remover and just threw the damn thing away.

:laughing-rolling: love that !!!

I have also used up a lot of Ellis Faas foundation bottles and pens ! I always forget about these because it doesn't look like makeup but yes, these are items that I finish up. Oh Mac paintpot in blackground, I can say I finished that one up because I got a very huge dip :mrgreen:

I can forecast the next used up items : Tom Ford new eyeliner (will be used to the bone), Addiction palette tuxedo moon (faster than the light), Tom Ford eyebase (faster than I expected), Addiction liners (I try not to use them up too quickly, difficult to get), Suqqu creamy glow lippies (very easy to use up), By Terry lipliner in Rosy Nude (going, going, nearly gone), RBR Lipliner in Marco (catching up with the By Terry), Tom ford new trios (specially the pink one), Chanel Prelude (still here because I tend to forget about it since I got the Tuxedo Moon), this is just to mention a few that will be finished shortly no matter what.

The next bin landings (!) : Mascaras... many... but I don't know why I keep on delaying that moment. Breaks my heart. And also some nude lipners (what was I thinking ??) too brown !!! same as you here !
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 am

I know! Perhaps if I find a lip colour opaque enough that will change those liners I don't like and make them usable...? What neutralizes tomato-brown :mrgreen: ?? But I can't feel bad about them still taking up space, because I cant' wear any lip product besides balm right now anyway (lips are just too dry, I mean I can apply colour, but it'll look chapped, flaky and awful all too fast). I'll strategize on that matter again in a few months :) .

Today I'll use up my Lancôme Bi-Facil makeup remover. There's probably 2 drops left, not enough to get everything off for sure. I've actually had it "nearly gone" for two months. I wanted to try Clinique's Take The Day off makeup remover and have had it for as long, but I kept a little bit of the Bi-Facil around just in case! Because I know I like it and the Clinique one is like a stranger I'm supposed to make friends with. They're both about equal quality I'd say. The Clinique is cheaper, which is nice, but it's not as luxurious. Not that that's the most important thing. They remove makeup the same, but I like that the Bi-Facil is blue, has a really pleasant scent and is slightly shiny (Clinique is clear, fragrance free and not sparkly). And I HATE the childproof bottle of the Clinique. I want to see if I can maybe transfer it into the Lancôme bottle :think: ...
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

ngilland

Postby ngilland » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:19 pm

Recently I've used up -

Anastasia Brow Wiz in Ebony - it wears really well even on oily skin and the color matches my hair well. I just got the NARS Brow Perfector (the color Suriname) though, and I think I like it better because the tip is larger.

NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base - turns out I didn't actually use it all up, it was just getting hard to get out of the tube. I cut it open and scooped the rest into a sample jar. I still have probably a couple months' worth left, but I've already purchased a backup for when that runs out.

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment mini - the clear one. It moisturizes well and smells good.

Burberry The Beat Eau de Parfum - I've been wearing it for years and now it's discontinued :crying-blue: Luckily there are still a few places online that I can find it.
My little blog: www.adifferentface.net

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 am

Oh I hate it when they discontinue stuff! Especially when it sneaks up on you. I had an old sample of Moschino's Couture, which I really liked, but at the time thought it was maybe too mature for me. Well, now I wanted something exactly like that but my sample was up, so I went to the counter to see if I still liked it and turns out the discontinued it :(...
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

aldona

Postby aldona » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Oh my... I am so HAPPY, relieved... and somewhat justified... because I finally know that I am NOT the only person who is using cosmetics that actually belong in the bin, but I can't push myself to do it...

For example: I have a lot of Nars eyeshadows which I barely touched, and nowadays I don't find sone colours flattering on me OR I just don't like them anymore... but everytime I open that palette I go "hmmm, but you bought them, so you should..." ah... Feck!

I really have to push myself, and then, I find myself in a situation where I clean out bottles (like you Olga)... just to put them in a drawer, forget about them for 3 years and then throw them out...

AHHHH...

Okay, what did I actually use up:
1. Group of things I liked:
- Ellis Faas Pens (not because they were empty, but dried out ... those buggers)
- Bobbi Brown Cream Shadows ("Bellini" a discontinued colour, but I loved it!!!... another one dried on me though as well, I think "Bone")
- Mascaras (from many brands)
- Foundations (many brands) and tinted Moisturizers (Laura Mercier)
- Concealers (many brands again, mainly Bobbi Brown)
- Liquid Eyeliner (Kanebo, Chanel, Givenchy... you name it)
- Eyebrow pens (I only use Chanel) and Eyebrow Mascara (Bobbi Brown)

2. Group of things I don't like (anymore):
- Just threw away some MAC eyeliners yesterday... they just don't look good on me!
- Old (15 years) eyeshadow in white from Bobbi Brown got chucked recently...
- ... the rest I keep and torture myself with it

3. Group of things I SHOULD throw away:
- Some Nars Eyeshadows
- Some old (15 yers) eyeshadows from Bobbi Brown and old eyeshadows from Dior
- Some older Nars blushes
- Some lipliners I don't use
- Plenty of pigments I RARELY use

4. Group of things I will NEVER USE UP even if I changed my make-up 10 times a day:
- Eyeshadow collection
- Blush collection
- Lipstick collection

And I just ordered new eyeshadows from rouge bunny rouge.
I am psychologically sick!

thanks for getting me out of my denial
Aldona
http://www.workingbeauty.com/comic
Because we're all beautiful... and working it!

Bonnie

Postby Bonnie » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 am

Hmmm, I think I've been pretty lucky in that I don't have many items in my collection that I don't like - I very rarely impulse buy makeup products, but do so much research and elimination. I do have a lot of products that don't get as much love as they should (ie, Suqqu eyeshadows, which make up the bulk of my eyeshadows, but that's only because I don't wear eyeshadow) but aside from that, pretty much every single item in my collection has been carefully "curated" and has a place there.

The things I should throw away are definitely mascara! You know that 3 month expiry date.... bah! I've tried to make that the one category where I actually make an effort to use things up.

I'd probably say the only other things that I'm close to using up are MAC Blacktrack and Bourjois Healthy Serum Gel Foundation. I sort of agree with Sonia, every time I see a dip in something that's LE I panic! And anything that's really, really expensive.... whereas with everything that's a bit more easily available, I just slather it on!

Return to “Beauty General”