Products you've (actually) used up!

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Raglo

Re: Products you've (actually) used up!

Postby Raglo » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:09 am

aldona wrote: For example: I have a lot of Nars eyeshadows which I barely touched, and nowadays I don't find sone colours flattering on me OR I just don't like them anymore... but everytime I open that palette I go "hmmm, but you bought them, so you should..." ah... Feck!

Aldona

:laughing-rolling:

Good-good-good! I think this is therapeutic on a multitude of levels. First of all to evaluate what we have and whether or not we need it; second, to either warn others about awful products or encourage checking out great ones; and to give some things a final chance and either re-discover them or LET THEM GO!

I also keep my "collection" (it's a bit of a stretch to call it that, but whatever) very small and exclusive (not entirely by choice, I mean if you gave me a black Amex card and left me on 5th avenue in the morning, and picked me up when the shops close, I will have done some considerable damage...). Which is why having any black sheep in my collection at all is so frustrating... And eyeshadow and pencil products take forever to use up :( . So when I figure out a way to make use of those 2 lip liners, I am going to sharpen them religiously!!! I know I don't sharpen my eyebrow pencil as often as I should because I really like it, but it also lasts for a year + a few months.

As for mascaras... I honestly don't get how they can expire in 3 months! I wear makeup almost every single day, it's very rare that I don't - only when I go see my dermatologist once a month, and even then if it's early enough I'll do my makeup later, and for whatever other reason, but no more than 2-3 days a month, and when I do wear makeup, of course I wear mascara, and I've never ever run out of it by month 3 of daily use! I think mine last about 6 months... And I generally use just one. And no, I haven't experienced them spoiling in that time either. So it's always confused me, how can something have an expiration date that kicks in half way through the volume?? My only theory about this is that I don't dip the wand back into the tube for each eye or go in for additional coats, not at all because I'm trying to save product, I just don't feel the need to - it gets the job done anyway, well, in my opinion :D .
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

aldona

Postby aldona » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 am

yeah... the "expiry dates"... As long as it doesn't smell rancid and doesn't look dried up, I feel it's fine...

But then, I am not a germophobe...

I have always thrown away mascara when they are empty, so approx 6 months or even a bit longer. I think the main reason for the 3 month expiry is the industry and their love of money! They want you to buy more! And also to not get sued if you get an eye infection,...

Btw: it is not good to dip the want too often (some people go in and out with the wand)... NOT GOOD! ... it gets air in the container and can spoil the mascara much quicker (and dry it up basically)... so good on you for not doing that!
http://www.workingbeauty.com/comic
Because we're all beautiful... and working it!

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:07 am

Today I threw away a grey liquid liner from Nina Ricci. It hasn't been "liquid" for years and even when it was, the brush was infuriating. GOOD riddance! :D
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

Buggsiebee

Postby Buggsiebee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:02 pm

You are absolutely right. This Nars stuff has GOT to go! I'm going to whack the whole lot onto Ebay...soon!!! I am sooooo LAZY! I have humongous amounts of Nars shadows & blushes which have NEVER even been touched!! I started on MAC & Nars & sort of worked myself up from there. Such a waste :(

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I starting moving into my new studio this last weekend (it's not finished but at least I have enough storage space) I cannot count how many things I wasn't throwing away just because it was breaking my heart...
but they need out!
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Admitting the issue is half the solution ;)
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Today/just now I use up a bottle of Clinique's Take The Day off eye and lip makeup remover. Would not repurchase. Onwards to something else...
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

Bonnie

Postby Bonnie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Oh, I used to use that too! I think the thing I'm going to finish up next is my GA LSF :(

Raglo

Postby Raglo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:27 am

I'm close, oh so close to finishing up my current mascara - Givenchy's Noir Couture.

I've been using it daily since April. There's still plenty of product but it's pretty dry and sticky at this point. I never loved it, it's a bit of a pain in the behind to use, but my mother expressed the desire to put a few drops of water in it and get every last bit out when I decide I don't want it anymore.

She just bought a Kanebo mascara travel set, there's two of the 38degree lengthening ones in there, one for her, one for me, and I like that one. I think I have the weekend in me to put up with the Givenchy, and then on to Kanebo! She's extremely frugal with mascara, so what's suffering for me, will be budgeting heaven for her, so she'll actually love using it up :D.
Veni, vidi... Bought it.

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I've used up 3 Anastasia Brow Wiz pencils in "Ash Blonde" and 2 Brow Pens in "Universal Light Shade". They're the two brow products I always come back to

2 tubs of First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream: Marketed as a face cream but I love it as a body cream.

L'Occitane Supple Skin Almond Oil

Smashbox PhotoReady BB Cream in "Light"

Michael Todd True Organics Cranberry Antiox Toner x2

Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm (Used up and repurchased): Removes makeup better than the Emma Hardie Cleansing balm but it's not quite as hydrating.

Emma Hardie's Cleansing Balm (Finishing up and will repurchase)

Benefit's Yes They're Real Mascara (Used and repurchased x5-ish): This doesn't flake on me but it is a pain to get off with anything but the Clinique Cleansing Balm.

Return to “Beauty General”