Non-Drying Powder

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
aldona

Non-Drying Powder

Postby aldona » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 am

Okay, this might be a bit of a tricky one, because I haven't found any good information on that in the web. But I once did a make-up course (it was basic but the teacher worked with tv and media both in germany and switzerland). She said that actually any talc or starch powder is very drying for the skin. She did NOT recommend it for everyday use. She claimed that silica-powder or synthetic powder (as she called it) would be better (or mineral powder make-up...)

When I heard that I bought the Silica-Powder from Coastal Scents (and recently the Eshiko one) and use that as a setting powder. And since then I avoid talc powder like the devil avoids holy water...

But then... as you know, sometimes I am tempted to go back and/or buy powders that I see in the shops. BUT almost ALL of the powders available are listing talc as main ingredient (including Guerlain Meteorites or any "Setting Powder" really). When I asked the question to the teacher, that all powders that are sold are talc based, she said that it's how the industry works. Talc IS getting rid of shine and works well as a setting powder... so it's not in the industry's interest to educate their customers, AND that customers do crave for the 24-h fixes which can only be achieved with talc or starch.

So what is your experience? and has anyone ever heard of the fact that talc is drying and not good?
http://www.workingbeauty.com/comic
Because we're all beautiful... and working it!

212kiki

Re: Non-Drying Powder

Postby 212kiki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 am

Yes i've heard that before over a blog here. But I don't use that much powder. There is a problem when you breath in the powder products too.
The make-up industry often make us believe something is good but it isn't.... It's the same with tons of face care products. :think:

aldona

Postby aldona » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 am

I totally agree on the fact that sometimes the "companies" lie to us...

Anyway, I still sometimes need powder, otherwise the foundation does settle into my lines over the day and doesn't keep up as well :-((...

What setting powder do others use `??

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

@Aldona,
Have you tried the Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder? http://www.lauramercier.com/store/shop/ ... prod300016

It's a silica-based product that works really well on my dry skin. I know LM is overpriced outside of the U.S. but I'm happy to help if you want it.

aldona

Postby aldona » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip!
No I didn't try that one (yet)... I will look around. I often either order from Strawberrynet or here in Australia you can get Laura Mercier too (it's overpriced, but when they do discounts it's OK)...

Good tip! Thanks so much

midnitedesire

Postby midnitedesire » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 am

i really like Chanel natural finish ,Laura Mercier translucent and NARS light reflecting loose powder. for reference, i've combination skin - oily throughout the t-zone and in the winter time i get dry skin on my cheeks.

have you tried MUFE HD powder before? i've heard that MUFE's HD powder listed it's ingredients as pure mineral silica powder :)

Sadie86

Postby Sadie86 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the advice!
Everyone has his burden. What counts is how you carry it

aldona

Postby aldona » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 pm

midnitedesire wrote:i really like Chanel natural finish ,Laura Mercier translucent and NARS light reflecting loose powder. for reference, i've combination skin - oily throughout the t-zone and in the winter time i get dry skin on my cheeks.

have you tried MUFE HD powder before? i've heard that MUFE's HD powder listed it's ingredients as pure mineral silica powder :)

Hey thanks a lot.
Yes, I do own the MUFE HD! But I'll nalso try to look into NARS and Laura Mercier, I love both brands! THANKS

Kumamon

Postby Kumamon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 am

I'm not to sure about the talc thing so I won't comment on that, but in my experience, silica is drying. Therefore I don't like powders like ELF HD, NARS Light Reflecting, or Make Up Forever HD.

I have found that the Suqqu loose powder (I use natural) and the Koh Gen Do UV powder are not drying. They don't help at all with oil control though.

laura

Postby laura » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:08 pm

I have mainly dry skin, and I also vote for the Laura Mercier loose setting powder in translucent. It's expensive, but I feel it's worth every penny and will likely last you a good while. It's great for setting under eye concealer - my under eyes are very dark and dry, every concealer tends to crease but powder makes them look "cakey". Not with the LM one! You also don't need to worry about color matching when buying it online. ;)

Return to “Beauty General”