Brushjunkie's nail corner

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Lyanna Stark

Re: Brushjunkie's nail corner

Postby Lyanna Stark » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:11 am

Bea,

If it's not too personal, how did you get into the hand modeling business? Did someone see your hands and discover you? Have you been doing it for a long time? What do you care to share about it?

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am

brushjunkie wrote:Lyanna I usually just use peel off base coat like the Dance Legend Peel Off Express Remove Base, Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Peel now since I mostly just swatch, take pics and then remove the polish. I really like peeling it off too lol. If I do go out with a mani then I use just regular base coat like Orly Bonder that sort of thing. I change polish everyday so I am the worst person to ask about a base coat that keeps the polish on lol.

Peel off base is a must have for me when I put on glitter polish. Comes off too easily but I would rather have that than soaking my nails in acetone.

I need company down that polish rabbit hole. It was like when I found Japanese made brushes, I was all by my lonesome so I set about rectifying that situation and now here I am in SMUTville. :laughing-rolling: :dance:

Also a quote from a different thread lol :lol: I often use this thread to look for information, so I like to have the topic in this place.

Bea, I have a few questions, please.
For how long can you wear a polish, when you have a peel off base underneath? Would this type of base coat for regular use mostly be good for glitter polishes?
You mention that you change your polish everyday. I'd like to know how you plan your manicure ;) For me I have to have 2 hours ahead of me where I don't have to use my hands, i.e. like when I watch TV or just before I go to bed (after having changed my clothes). What is your routine?
Have you other tips for how to keep your hands, nails and cuticles well groomed?
:ty:

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Lyanna Stark wrote:Bea,

If it's not too personal, how did you get into the hand modeling business? Did someone see your hands and discover you? Have you been doing it for a long time? What do you care to share about it?

It's not really hand modeling per se, but swatching polish and taking pics of it lol.

On FB, I was part of this small little polish group that included Leah Ann (owner of Llarowe/CbL) and a few other of the more popular indie brand makers. I started taking pics of my manis and posted them in the group. I eventually created my own FB page for my pics and started posting them there. At the same time I was teaching myself some photography and learning about photo editing. I would superimpose a pretty patterned background on my swatches and LA loved them. Eventually she asked me to start doing swatch pics for her CbL brand. She sent me this huge box of 50 bottles to swatch. I've swatched for a few other brands as well, but mainly CbL. :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Bea, I have a few questions, please.
For how long can you wear a polish, when you have a peel off base underneath? Would this type of base coat for regular use mostly be good for glitter polishes?
You mention that you change your polish everyday. I'd like to know how you plan your manicure ;) For me I have to have 2 hours ahead of me where I don't have to use my hands, i.e. like when I watch TV or just before I go to bed (after having changed my clothes). What is your routine?
Have you other tips for how to keep your hands, nails and cuticles well groomed?
:ty:[/quote]

Yes it is geared mostly for glitter polish. That is the problem with peel off base coat, it does not stay on the nail for very long. My manicure usually only lasts until the next day with the NPB Glitter Peel. The peel off base dries really quickly so it really doesn't add much more time to doing a manicure.
My routine is different since I swatch, not actually wear most of the polish lol. I moisturize the heck out of my hands and nails. Swab the nail surface only with acetone to take off the grease, apply the base coat, apply two or three coats of the polish (depending on how pigmented or depth of colour I want), then top coat with HK Girl, Clearly on TOP, SV or whatever. I take care to wrap my tips with the polish and tc to try to help keep the mani from chipping since it usually starts at the edges.
I just started using these nail mask things from a Korean brand called The Face Shop to help moisturize my cuticles and nail beds. I use the paraffin one. Cost $2 for the 2pack here.
http://shoppingescapades.com/review-fac ... nail-pack/
Bea

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:13 pm

brushjunkie wrote: I've swatched for a few other brands as well, but mainly CbL. :mrgreen:

This is interesting! Have you considered approaching opi/essie/revlon and going more prime time?

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 am

Dance Legend's Sully on my nails from theit chameleon collection (colour shifter). I applied it on Sunday, and the picture is taken today, Friday, so this is my 5th day wearing it. It really wears well :D
Attachments
Sully.jpg
Sully.jpg (47.23 KiB) Viewed 5920 times

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Looks fab Jeanette! You captured the shift in your picture. Now please tell me your secret to being able to wear a polish for 5 days without it chipping. Even in my early days of trying to keep my manicure pristine for longer than 48 hours, I just couldn't find a way to do it! :mrgreen: :lol: :clap:
Bea

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Haha, Bea! I actually think that this polish wears better than many other brands. I have been quite ill the last two days, so I didn't remove it until today on the 7th day. It still didn't chip, but the white on the nail was visible on the tip on a couple of nails (only visible if looking closely) To me that is also unusual. But I can usually wear polish for 3-4 days.
I don't do many chores that are hard on the nails. I work in an office and have a dishwasher machine at home :D
Apart from that, I love my Essie basecoat and Leighton Denny topcoat. I don't cover my tips or anything, just basecoat, two layers of the np, and one layer of top coat. I buff my nails once in a while to make the surface even, maybe that helps too. But I do find that there are some differences between brands, too.

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:12 am

I was just going thru my pics folder. I have thousands so it's easy to forget once I transfer the files over from my camera, ugh. :(
Anyway better late than never. Here is our lovely Cat hand modeling for CbL! :lol: :clap: :dance:
IMG_6862a.jpg

Quite a chunk of time was devoted to serious polish testing... :shifty: :laughing-rolling:
IMG_6866a.jpg
Bea

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:28 pm

Jeanette, that polish it totally to die for!

Bea and Cat-- so envious that you guys have been able to meet up! If any SMUTY's want to move to Seattle... ;)

Return to “Beauty General”