Nail finish like gele nails

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Jeanette

Nail finish like gele nails

Postby Jeanette » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi, I am so torn about how to make my nails look their best. :roll: :think:

I love the look of gel nails, or Shellack, or Calgel, but there are some drawbacks:

- gellack needs filing the natural nail rough, so you cannot return to natural nails
- It is difficult to apply and take off at home, so you need time and money for a salon
- My nails grow so fast that after a week I think the grown part of the nail without colour is too long to not remove the colour.

But regular nail polish doesn't have the same finish, and it doesn't last as well :(

I have read that some people use gellack of some sort as a base and/or top coat to achieve the same finish, and it is possible to do it yourself at home, if you buy an UV lamp and gel colours.

Does any of you have experience with it and can recommend something?

212kiki

Re: Nail finish like gele nails

Postby 212kiki » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Same boat for me hun !
I loved the look of Anna's nails here from the forum when she visited me. She has shellack...
I was so close to buy a set to do shellack on my own but due to some bad infos about the UV lamps I thought ok better not..
I don't want to pay about 30-40€ or so for shellack every two weeks so I must find a home version which lasts longer...

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:11 am

I have to wash my hands all day and gel nails are the only ones that can last more than 2 days without chipping. I bought an at-home gel kit from Gelish with an LED light and it actually works well! If I do a decent job of applying it, it'll last for about 2 weeks. When I go to the salon though it seems to stay for up to 4 (or whenever I remove them). Even thought the nail underneath gets buffed, when I soak my fingers in the remover, the nail underneath stays pretty healthy.

I think the kit cost roughly $75 but then again, gel manicures cost $20-25 in Idaho... So it's not like I've saved much money after buying the polishes.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:04 pm

I'd very much like to buy the system myself and do (soak off) gel nails at home. My nails grow so fast, so I want to take it off after a week, because I don't like having too much grow-out.

I read that Leighton Denny has launched a new LonGELity system that is available for manicures in some salons. I would really like to try it, because I have a lot of faith in his products. His regular nail polishes have the best finish, and he cares about not harming the nails. So far I cannot see that it is for sale for regular consumers though, but I cross my fingers!

Can anyone recommend other brands for DIY at home?

212kiki

Postby 212kiki » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:44 am

So jeantte i ordered the Harmony Gelish complete starter set with an LED lamp.
The price is quite high and i hope the irish store sells really original stuff but normally its not allowed to ship polish so i dont want to risk it with customs (with that amount of money) when i order at US...
And they ship with DHL so i can use my packstation :laughing-rolling:

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm

@212kiki, exciting! I'd love to hear how it goes :D

212kiki

Postby 212kiki » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:10 pm

I saw a pic at insta from Jill so i thought i must finally buy one !!
Will see how it goes without buffing my nails before... Jill did you try if it holds without buffing ?

jilliciouscosmetics

Postby jilliciouscosmetics » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:08 pm

I haven't tried it. I usually use a foam buffer that's not very abrasive but I can test it next time.

I would have been happy to have sent you the kit too!
Last edited by jilliciouscosmetics on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:36 pm

@Sarah, otherwise maybe try to use nailpolish remover to remove oil from the nail, before you apply the gel polish.
I use a foam buffer too for my regular polish. I like the look of smooth nails. Regular polish looks better, and without polish the nails look better groomed and younger.

212kiki

Postby 212kiki » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:12 am

@ Jeanette so i did my first try on friday... it takes some time but what i like is that its not half dry like normal polish when you try to make as precise as possible... and the gel is dry when you're ready !

My cuticels are not the nicest so dont look at that. I did some mistake because i made the thumb first and tilt it to make the others thats why the gel is a bit thicker on one side of it...
I need a better tool to clean the cuticle area from gel i dont like the rosewood stick for that...evtl. a brush ? :D
To the set, i paid 130€ with "free" DHL express shipping from Irland it seems all ok with it.
It contains only the 4fingers LED lamp but i dont wanted to pay so much more for now !

Return to “Beauty General”