Facial massage

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
laura

Facial massage

Postby laura » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 am

Facial massage, especially Asia's secret key to non sagging skin, wrinkles and what else!

I would love to learn more about facial massage, so I made this topic. Mostly, I'd like to perform them myself, although visiting a salon would be wonderful. I've seen various versions: with cleanser, cream or massaging oil. In Japan, we have various products to perform massage, like Astablanc has a whitening massage cream that's before toner and then rinsed of. Some instructions use gua sha (a Chinese jade piece, massage tool, sold also made of metal or plastic nowadays) or plain hands.

What I don't know about massage, usually it's instructed to not touch or pull your skin, but what's different with a massage and "pulling" for the skin, if you know what I mean? Some movements, like from chin up involve pulling in some way, unintentionally? What kind of movements are good? In some Korean beauty shows, it's emphasised to not move in two ways, only from center of the face inwards-> outwards. And, only up - not down, as you don't want a saggy, downwards going skin. Making sense here to you? :D

Any tips, advices, video tricks etc welcome! I'm eagerly waiting for Lisa Elridge's promised video on massage, as she is gorgeous. :romance-heartbeating:

Carlyn

Re: Facial massage

Postby Carlyn » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:16 am

Laura, I done this technique a few times but not often or long enough to see a difference. I haven't had time in weeks to do this. Have a look at this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ANcs7oh9s

Bonnie

Postby Bonnie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:52 pm

Oh, I used to do the Tanaka massage too, with my CdP massage cream. It was very therapeutic but.... well, I'm not someone that likes sitting still so I haven't done it in ages lolol

I did find my skin feeling a little bit firmer after a massage... but maybe I'm just telling myself that lol!

Whee ! Confetti !!

Postby Whee ! Confetti !! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am

I'm really interested in this subject ! *_* I love massaging my face (do it every night) and I really believe the way you massage your face is more important than the products you buy.

I got hooked when I bought Chizu Saeki's book: The Japanese Skincare Revolution which is in my opinion a GREAT introduction to face massages, especially lymphatic ones. This book is great for advice on skincare in general too.

It lead me to my beloved Hitachi HadaCrie which is a massage/cleansing/moisturizing device which I can't live without anymore. xD My skin feels so much more moisturized and bouncier when I use it... I'm in love with the sensation, I mean I always feel like I'm leaving a spa or something when I just used it. Combined with sheet masks it's the best thing in the world. XD

Of course I also have a face roller that I sometime use in the morning but I really like the Hitachi more.
Whee ! Confetti !! - Where there's confetti, there's a party !

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Whee, you are my kinda girl :dance: I'm seriously looking into this gadget but first I have to figure out how it works. You just use it to moisturise? Can you skip the cleansing part? And the reviews talked about the cotton pad, will any cotton pad do or are there ones specially made for it? I have the Clarisonic Pro that I've had for many years and the Clariosonic Opal that I rarely use. I need to see if this is something I'll keep up with. Thanks so much for sharing.

Whee ! Confetti !!

Postby Whee ! Confetti !! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:53 pm

@Carlyn I've never tried the Clarisonic(s) because I'm really scared of the brush ! I have dry and sensitive skin and I'm almost sure I would not like it. But I had never seen the one you're talking about (the opal, will check what it is).

Anyway, with the Hitachi Hadacrie you have 4 steps:
- Cleansing (with cotton pad) 5min
- Micropat (without cotton pad) 5min
- Moisturize (with cotton pad) 5min
- Mask (with a sheet mask, once a week) 5 min

The best is to go through all the steps every night (except for the last one, only once a week) but seriously, I doubt everyone is doing all the steps everyday. I usually skip Micropat and go for Cleansing and Moisturize because I just don't like using the HadaCrie without cotton pad. It's annoying, you have to put lotion on your face, massage your face with the device but it absorbs really quickly so you have to stop, put some more on your face then take the Hadacrie again. You're putting lotion on your hands, on your face, on the device...

When I'm really tired/not in the mood, I'll just go with Moisturize, my cotton pad will have some dirt on it at the end of the mode but at least I know I have done the essential.

As for the cotton pads I think you need to pick pads that are 100% cotton and won't tear or pill. I bought Suzuran's puffs on Sasa: http://web1.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/produc ... 0488704001 240 pieces, really cheap.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:07 pm

What a brilliant topic! This is something that I'd like to learn :ty:
Lisa Eldridge also talks about how she does it when using cleansers, but I have never researched how to do it myself.

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Thanks for the info Whee. I've got the Hada Crie added to my Amazon wish list. The Opal is for the eye area to help serums absorb better. I don't know how good of a job it does because I haven't been faithful to it :(

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:15 pm

It's probably not really massage, but I spend a good length of time with my shu cleansing oil every night. Well, it's massage in that I like to really work it in and sometimes it feels like I'm dislodging quite a bit from my pores.

I have tried lots of cleansing oils, and nothing comes close to the shu IMO, so every black Friday when they have 20% off, I order two big tubs for the year.

Whee ! Confetti !!

Postby Whee ! Confetti !! » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:56 pm

Carlyn wrote:Thanks for the info Whee. I've got the Hada Crie added to my Amazon wish list. The Opal is for the eye area to help serums absorb better. I don't know how good of a job it does because I haven't been faithful to it :(

Ohhhhh this is interesting ! I'm starting to take care of that area of my face ! :lol: I'm using the hadacrie to moisturize my eyes contour but I've seen smaller machines to dot it like the "hermippe" or "smart finger"

@Lyanna I love cleansing oils !! Massaging my face when removing make up is one of my favorite steps of my routine. Absolute favorite cleansing oils are the rose and green tea ones from the brand: RE:CIPE (CARE CARA before) it's perfect. Mineral oil free, removes all make up even waterproof mascaras, it emulsifies well and it's not that expensive (around 20$)
My "problem" with Shu Uemura's is that it is 80€ here in France and it's mostly made of mineral oil (that's what I read on the bottles I've seen, first ingredient in the list) for that price I find it unacceptable.

Return to “Beauty General”