What's your beauty confession?

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Jeanette

Re: What's your beauty confession?

Postby Jeanette » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 pm

The same thing goes for brush handles I think. I find it hard to buy a nice brush, if the handle is ugly or clumpsy. That includes square ;)

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:46 pm

Jeanette wrote:The same thing goes for brush handles I think. I find it hard to buy a nice brush, if the handle is ugly or clumpsy. That includes square ;)

This ^^^. That's why I haven't bought any of the Koyudo BPs lol. :roll: ;)
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:22 pm

alk1113 wrote:Ah don't feel bad - me too! I wish Benefit could change their packaging.... I hear amazing things about their blush but I can't bare to buy that card board piece of crap.

Yeah, I don't really feel bad about it, per se. Just a little ridiculous. But part of the territory of being a design nut (architect).

But it's too bad I can't enjoy some nice products because I can't overlook minor "flaws" which probably aren't bothering most people.

And yep, have never really shopped Benefit for the packaging reason. (Although I think cardboard could actually be done well, and not be childish or tacky.)

Jeanette wrote:The same thing goes for brush handles I think. I find it hard to buy a nice brush, if the handle is ugly or clumpsy. That includes square ;)

I hear that. As a counterpoint, though, I used to not like the bigger Z-series Chiku handles, like the Z-9 and Z-1. When I looked at the MKs, I thought the makie were really pretty, but that it was unfortunate they were on those joystick-looking chubby handles. But now, having used the MK-2 awhile, I get why those handles are shaped and sized that way - it fits in my hand really well. Really quite the pleasure to hold.

brushjunkie wrote:This ^^^. That's why I haven't bought any of the Koyudo BPs lol. :roll: ;)

I don't like the way the FuPa 14 looks enough to pull the trigger, even though I believe it's a wonderful brush.

Kay

Postby Kay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm

I will often buy a brush I think is ugly if highly rated. If they turn out to be fantastic, their looks don't seem to bother me after awhile, but if they are just so so, then yeah, their looks continue to be an issue.

sin

Postby sin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:21 pm

I have my own OCDs regarding handles; I dislike...

... matte ferrules: many Koyudo brushes, Hakuhodo Kokutan (too bad, I love the wood part, esp. the heaviness) ...

... text on the handles that looks like it wasn't matched to roundness of the handle (WG Eye & Face set) and/or that is very long & descriptive (Chikuhodo Z and Kiwami, I would like to decide what to use the brush for myself, thank you; Shu Uemura) and/or looks like it wasn't matched to the size of the handle (Rae Morris; Chikuhodo Artist) .....

... bright colored handles; you won't find red, blue or pink brushes in my collection.

Please note that I don't find brushes that don't met these requirements not beautiful, these are just my personal sensual preferences - I know that if something bothers me on a sensual level I won't use it much & unused brushes make me feel like I am a bad parent to them ;) .

The cardboard Benefit likes to use is a good thing in my eyes, makes it easy to depot. I don't like the product quality. In contrast to the Burberry eyeshadows which I would have bought more of if they weren't encased in actual armor. Expect broken knives and chipped product trying to depot those.

I make fantasy shopping carts too - on Pinterest. If you are a lazy shopper like me transfering all your pins into the shopping cart on the website will seem like to much hassle and you'll buy nothing - done :icon-mrgreen:.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:29 pm

sin wrote:I have my own OCDs regarding handles; I dislike...

Woman after my own heart!

(Except I tend to like matte ferrules, esp Koku ones.)

Great point about packaging built for depotting. Except, I have to say that I have yet to meet an empty palette/format that I truly like, so I tend not to depot.

I make fantasy shopping carts too - on Pinterest. If you are a lazy shopper like me transfering all your pins into the shopping cart on the website will seem like to much hassle and you'll buy nothing - done :icon-mrgreen:.

Aren't Pinterest collections great? Sometimes I feel like it's enough to have a virtual collection, and I don't really need the actual brushes/pottery/furniture.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm

It's such a relief to be among like minded :D

laura

Postby laura » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am

Weird, I think when a makeup product has "too good" packaging, I think the inside must be poop. Too good to be true, you know? Like with some Japanese hi-end products there's a lot of details, shimmers, ornaments, etc., but if I have no idea about the ingredients or product quality I try to control myself for not falling head over heels in love.. :oops:

Some cardboard packaging is OK I think.. I love my Paul and Joe blush with the most cute cat print on it! Feels nice and sturdy - def easy to depot. But with the Balm I always fear I'm going to break the palette, and the mirrors look like those circus mirrors.

My OCD is with black goat hair... I just don't like it as I adore the white silky soft goat hair. I just want enough brushes I can assemble them as a plushie or a mat, pet and caress it. lol :D

Devin

Postby Devin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 am

Laura, I agree with the black goat brushes, I try to stay clear of those. I am so pale that I think my white, dirty powder brushes look better than my black ones. The black brushes basically turn gray with powder and look horrible.

I am in the minority but I actually like the white handles of the bp series. :oops:

Whee ! Confetti !!

Postby Whee ! Confetti !! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:30 am

alk1113 wrote:
Lyanna Stark wrote:Confession No. 1: I am pretty obsessed with cosmetics packaging. If I don't like the outside, I'm probably not going to like the inside. I don't have to be in love with the packaging, but I can't think it's ugly.

Ah don't feel bad - me too! I wish Benefit could change their packaging.... I hear amazing things about their blush but I can't bare to buy that card board piece of crap.

HAHAHA THANK you ! I Hate Benefit's packaging !! :laughing-rolling:
Finally I find people who understand me. XD

I have a lot in common concerning brushes with you Sin ! I feel so less alone.

Colored handles: It's very difficult for me to find a brush/brush line with colored handles pretty. :|
Of course I like black (and red is okay for some), I also like wooden handles BUT... That's about it. :lol: Other colors are just too much for me, too flashy. I even have trouble with white handles. XD And that's so annoying because I won't buy a brush because of it, even if I like the brand, the brush form, the hairs, etc. And I won't buy any funny shaped or colored brush either (no flashy Kabuki from Koyudo for me !).

Kabukis: I am sorryyyyyy. I don't like them. Don't throw rocks at me ! I just prefer brushes with handles (though I'd like to try one of the Hakuhodo fan brush but they're not kabukis).

Handles: I can't bear long and pointed handles. I feel like they're getting in the way, they're annoying and I find them less pretty than short ones. Besides short handles are easier to store and travel with and I like the feel of them in my hands. :P

Matte ferrules: I don't like them either though it was not a problem at all with the Kokutan series... :think: On all the other brushes it makes me think of a school board. They do feel awkward in my hands.

Most of the Koyudo brushes: Because there are not a lot of simple black short handles brushes in their lines. :lol: I like my Fu-Pa02 though and probably will buy the Fu-Pa14 in the future.

Black goat hair: Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ? WHY ?! I don't understand why goat hairs are died when the brush is made entirely of goat hair. When they're mixed with Squirrel I can understand but on their own: NO NO NO !!! I love my goat hair white and I like to see them dirty. :lol:

Ps: Pinterest is love.
Whee ! Confetti !! - Where there's confetti, there's a party !

Return to “Beauty General”