Beauty Blender Opinions

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Devin

Beauty Blender Opinions

Postby Devin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:46 am

I know we love our brushes here but I was wondering if anyone here uses a beauty blender? I have never tried one and was wanting to hear some opinions. Thanks.

sin

Re: Beauty Blender Opinions

Postby sin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:52 am

Hello Devin,

yes, I have used in and it is my favorite way to apply foundation at the moment.

When I first used the Beauty Blender many years ago I didn't like it - I was using a liquid foundation then and a didn't wring out as much of the water as you should. Due to the high water content of the foundation and the added water from the sponge there was a lot of moisture left on my dehydrated skin. The water evaporated quickly and left a very tight feeling and not a nice finish on my face... there wasn't much info available online when I first tried it so I didn't know better back then.

... I tried it again a few months ago, this time with a rather creamy foundation, the right skincare underneath. Squeeze it a few times ;, get as much water out as possible. Apply a few dots of foundation on your face and bounce away.... if you watch makeup artists in videos you will see that a lot of them to essentially the same, either with their hands, a foundation brush... they are patting the foundation into the skin. I have found that this gives me the most even coverage (not the highest!) without accentuating hairs or uneven skin compared to other methods and it is one of the quickest ways to apply foundation. Works great with concealer, too, though it will sheer out the coverage a bit.
I have tried a few local drugstore dupes and haven't found a huge difference between them and the original, so you might want to try one of those first, the Real Techniques Sponge gets great reviews.
You can also experiment and cut parts off to have two sponges with a flat side etc.

I am intriqued by the positive reviews of the Dior Star Foundation Sponge which you are supposed to use dry, so I am going to try that one next - it is cheaper than the BB.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, I feel like I have missed a lot.
Last edited by sin on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carlyn

Postby Carlyn » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:39 am

I have the black Beauty blender and while I don't use it often, when I do, I'm always pleased with the results. It's really great when my skin is a bit flaky from exfoliating. You do have to get the excess water out or your foundation will be too diluted. I usually squeeze it in a towel and that works really well. It can also be used to apply cream blush to get a flawless finish. I've also used it when I over apply blush or feel that my face looks too powdered. I'll just tap the damp blender over my face to get the nice glow back.

Devin

Postby Devin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:42 am

Thank you so much for your replies. Carlyn, it is good to know that it works with flaky skin. I easily get it with the cold winter weather here. I guess I will get one to try with the Sephora sale starting. Thanks again.

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:55 pm

If I didn't love brushes so much and felt the need to use them because of spending so much time, effort and money to acquire, then my go to would be the Beauty Blender. I just unearthed my set of two pink ones with the BB washing liquid which I have now started using on some of my brushes. I want the black BB sponge so will hopefully find it at IMATS. :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

AngelaDay

Postby AngelaDay » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:22 am

It really depends on the user , some prefer brush and others opt for beauty blender. If you know how to blend flat foundation blush expertly It will give you more smoother look than blender. But if you don't know to blend it well it can leave streaks. So In this case you should use beauty blender.

Karla

Postby Karla » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:27 pm

I have been using the beauty blender for quite some time and i like it but its time to replace it but now i want a brush instead but dont know which one would work since i use the estee lauder double wear light and it has a thick, creamy consistency, at first i was thinking of getting the houkudou BZ 1 but that might be a little too soft to blend this foundation properly, now i have my eyes on the tom ford cream foundation brush but i want to see it in person first

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:28 pm

@Karla, for thicker consistency foundations the Koyudo BP013 should be really good. Check out Sonia's post on foundation brushes on her blog :D

Karla

Postby Karla » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Jeanette wrote:@Karla, for thicker consistency foundations the Koyudo BP013 should be really good. Check out Sonia's post on foundation brushes on her blog :D

Yep, i have already read about this brush, i really like its shape and size but im not too fond on the handle :oops: but koyudo brushes are great quality so if i dont find a brush that works well enough with my foundation i might end up buying the bp013 ;)

Return to “Beauty General”