Today, I bought...

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Jeanette

Re: Today, I bought...

Postby Jeanette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:49 pm

brushjunkie wrote:
Jeanette wrote:I wanted to try some more brands this time, Bea. So a little of some different stuff ;-)

@Jeanette You didn't get the HK Girl top coat? Try it next time. One of my two faves, the other being KB Shimmer Clearly On Top. We don't carry KB Shimmer though. I get mine from Harlow & Co.

No, I didn't know you'd recommend that one. I'd love to try it! Currently my preferred top coat is Leighton Denny's. Sophy Robson prefers the Seche Vite, so I have tried that one too, but I still prefer Leighton Denny's. But I think I will use several up, and we need to try out new things to be able to discover new favourites, ha? :D So thanks for the recommendation.
But I wouldn't have come across it on the website unless I accidentally stumpled upon it while looking at nail polishes from the brand.

I think it is difficult to find grooming essentials and accessories on the Llarowe website. I'd like a category like that on the website for one-stop-shopping. It seems that the things they sell are "hidden" under the brand name. I'd like an overview of the grooming essentials in a category across the brands with different base and top coats, np and cuticle removers and special remedies for taking off glitter polish like the one you mentioned from nailene. Things for mani and pedicure etc. When one has to pay for shipping it is nice to be able to get everything in one place, but I cannot search on specific items across brands, so I cannot see, if Llarowe sells them. So that's a recommendation you could pass on to Llarowe :D

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm

I know what you mean about the having all the nail treatment stuff in one place. I will pass on your suggestion Jeanette! :clap:

SV used to be my fave especially becauses it dried fast, made the nails look like glass and it was good for glitter. However, the shrinkage drove me nuts. GG HK Girl and KB Clearly On Top dry almost as fast and are good for smoothing over glitter but I don't find them to be as bad in the shrinkage department. One thing I really like about HK Girl is it doesn't thicken up like the KB Shimmer does and SV is certainly notorious for that. Another thing that drove me nuts about it.
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:10 pm

sin wrote:Why am I looking up swatches of Oceanic Forces and Silver Smoke :x

:P Same reason I end up looking at Suqqu and Three swatches? :P

brushjunkie wrote:Lyanna I usually just use peel off base coat like the Dance Legend Peel Off Express Remove Base, Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Peel now since I mostly just swatch, take pics and then remove the polish.

shut up! I had no idea such a thing existed!

I really like peeling it off too lol. If I do go out with a mani then I use just regular base coat like Orly Bonder that sort of thing. I change polish everyday so I am the worst person to ask about a base coat that keeps the polish on lol.

Peel off base is a must have for me when I put on glitter polish. Comes off too easily but I would rather have that than soaking my nails in acetone.

You have to remember you are speaking to a total polish noob here, virtually. I didn't even know that's what base polish was for, I thought it was to keep my nails from yellowing.

Anyway, thank you, I am learning a lot. I have decided to embrace nail polish because it sort of helps me feel young and futuristic. :ugeek: :P

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:09 pm

brushjunkie wrote:I know what you mean about the having all the nail treatment stuff in one place. I will pass on your suggestion Jeanette! :clap:

SV used to be my fave especially becauses it dried fast, made the nails look like glass and it was good for glitter. However, the shrinkage drove me nuts. GG HK Girl and KB Clearly On Top dry almost as fast and are good for smoothing over glitter but I don't find them to be as bad in the shrinkage department. One thing I really like about HK Girl is it doesn't thicken up like the KB Shimmer does and SV is certainly notorious for that. Another thing that drove me nuts about it.

Thanks Bea :ty:
The GG HK Girl top coat is out of stock at Llarowe's website, otherwise I would ask to have it added to my order, since it hasn't shipped yet.
I just bought 3 polishes from Harlow and co, as they got the KB Shimmer You Autumn Know back in stock, and I added their top coat as well. Thanks again for the recommendations, I truly appreciate them!

gatos

Postby gatos » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:41 am

Haha Jeanette, I have been trying to buy HK Girl on llarowe for weeks now and it never seems to remain in stock for long... that's what I get for being so indecisive, too many pretties to choose from!

Lyanna, I also did not know that that glitter peel-off base thing existed until recently! Bea let me try hers, and then gave me some too, my mind was blown :lol: It's also weirdly satisfying to peel off. I soaked my nails in acetone a few weeks ago to remove Cosmic Forces and was left traumatized by the experience haha. I am wearing Turbulence (also Emily de Molly) now and it seems I screwed this up though.... I wore a nail strengthening base under the peel-off base and now it won't peel bahahaha. I'm gonna have to soak in acetone again! So moral of the story is, peel base first, everything else after. That sounds so obvious now. I r dumb.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks, gatos. I am pretty excited for the Peel Off Express now. Feels like the right tools are going to make this all a lot more fun.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:36 pm

gatos wrote:Haha Jeanette, I have been trying to buy HK Girl on llarowe for weeks now and it never seems to remain in stock for long... that's what I get for being so indecisive, too many pretties to choose from!

Lyanna, I also did not know that that glitter peel-off base thing existed until recently! Bea let me try hers, and then gave me some too, my mind was blown :lol: It's also weirdly satisfying to peel off. I soaked my nails in acetone a few weeks ago to remove Cosmic Forces and was left traumatized by the experience haha. I am wearing Turbulence (also Emily de Molly) now and it seems I screwed this up though.... I wore a nail strengthening base under the peel-off base and now it won't peel bahahaha. I'm gonna have to soak in acetone again! So moral of the story is, peel base first, everything else after. That sounds so obvious now. I r dumb.

Cat, you need to jump at it first thing, when you see it next time then :lol: I'll remember that I need to do the same. I just checked in to browse and suddenly saw that two of the items on my wishlist had come in stock, so that's why I ordered. It would be nice with an email-notification, when something on one's withlist is restocked.
And thanks for your lessons learned regarding the peel off base lol. I'll try to remember that, too :D I know exactly what you mean; I once sat with acetone and aluminium foil to soak gel polish on my nails so that I could scrape it off with a wooden cuticle stick. It damaged my nails until they had grown out again, so I'd really not like to have to repeat that again :o
But how long can you wear the glitter polish for with a peel off base underneath? I guess you don't change polish everyday :P

sin

Postby sin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:06 pm

brushjunkie wrote:Do you mean that little pouch for their synthetic kabuki? I bought the MUFE kabuki years ago and a little pouch came with it. Never did use it and now my mom has personal possession of it. I ordered 3 of the kabuki pouches from Haku. :mrgreen:

Yeah, exactly that one. I have seen that they recently overhauled their eyeshadow/blush range so I was wondering if they also updated their accessoires.

Jeanette wrote: :lol: Sin, some of them only cost 7 USD, so it's a much cheaper addiction than MU brushes. And very fun :D

Really? Never heard of anyone ordering "just that one bottle of nail polish" :lol:
When I say I banned myself I really mean it - the one time I did make the mistake and visited the Llarowe website per brushjunkie's endlessly enabling efforts I was knee deep in indie polish research 5 minutes later.... the limited availability & quantity is bothering me, I can already see myself paying an arm and a leg for some super HTF indie polish on Ebay.

Jeanette wrote:
I have the Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover and use it regularly. It is the easiest way to remove cuticles. I put the liquid on the cuticles, and in less than a minute I can scrape the dry cuticles and skin away with a wooden stick, and they are soft like oatmeal. Very easy and the nails look a lot more groomed afterwards. I don't always get rid of it all, though, if it continues up in the corner of the finger. But very recommendable. I haven't tried other brands, I just bought this one on Bea's recommendation :D

Sorry, I looked it up in Bea's nail corner and it was Sarah who's using the Essence one (my current remover) :oops:
The SH Cuticle Remover is the one I want to try next, it is a bit more economical in price & size.
I have never tried a wooden stick before, do you use them for one treatment and throw them away after that? I am currently using the KOH Cosmetics Gentle Cuticle stick and I am not sure if some of the "invisible cuticle" I am rubbing off actually comes from the rubber tip of the stick. I have only recently started to remove the cuticles and it has already made a huge difference, I definitely notice when I go a week or two skipping this, so I am all up for fine tuning of that process now.

gatos wrote:I wore a nail strengthening base under the peel-off base and now it won't peel bahahaha. I'm gonna have to soak in acetone again! So moral of the story is, peel base first, everything else after. That sounds so obvious now. I r dumb.

gatos, which strengthener are you using? If it's are Formaldehyde based one I am not sure if it will work over a base coat, a Protein/Polymer one might temporary add some strength though.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

@Sin, no I don't dispose of the wooden cuticle stick after each use. I just hold it under running water to rinse off the soft gellyish tissue from the cuticles, and then I wipe it dry. I like that it is firm, and still softer than a metal stick.

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 pm

IMG_7820a.JPG
Had this little beauty flown in from Japan via Marty's staff. He handed it over to me yesterday at IMATS (see the pic I posted of Cat and Marty on Instagram brushjunkie yesterday). Forever in love. :lol: :violin: :mrgreen:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

Return to “Beauty General”