Today, I bought...

Brands, tutorials, skincare or any other beauty related topic
Jeanette

Re: Today, I bought...

Postby Jeanette » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:54 pm

brushjunkie wrote:@Jeanette: Turning the big 5-0 was the perfect excuse to go hog wild on the Haku and IMATS purchases, which I did. I am not finished showing you guys what I got yet... :lol: :laughing-rolling: :confusion-seeingstars:

That's such a good justification, Bea :clap: :lol: I look forward to your pictures :D

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:15 pm

brushjunkie wrote:@Jeanette: Turning the big 5-0 was the perfect excuse to go hog wild on the Haku and IMATS purchases, which I did. I am not finished showing you guys what I got yet... :lol: :laughing-rolling: :confusion-seeingstars:

Happy Birthday, Bea!

Excited to see what else!

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Lyanna Stark wrote:

Happy Birthday, Bea!

Excited to see what else!

Thank you Lyanna! :romance-smileyheart:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

sin

Postby sin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Congrats Bea & :occasion-birthday:

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 am

sin wrote:Congrats Bea & :occasion-birthday:

:ty: :mrgreen:
Bea

midnitedesire

Postby midnitedesire » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 pm

brushjunkie wrote:
IMG_7820a.JPG
Had this little beauty flown in from Japan via Marty's staff. He handed it over to me yesterday at IMATS (see the pic I posted of Cat and Marty on Instagram brushjunkie yesterday). Forever in love. :lol: :violin: :mrgreen:

The brush is soooooooo freakin' stunning!!! love love love it :romance-hearteyes: :romance-heartbeating: :romance-inlove:

midnitedesire

Postby midnitedesire » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 pm

brushjunkie wrote:
IMG_7856a.JPG
Thank you ladies! it is so exquisite, I can't tell you how amazing the detail is and the hair is so soft and is it ever dense! And the brush has weight because of the porcelain handle. I love it to pieces and to me, worth every single penny of its outrageous price lol. I think I will start collecting one every birthday. Here is another pic of it along with the Kokutan white goat kinokos I pre-ordered and the 3 white goat vermillions. The SJ104 I pre-ordered and he brought in for me as well. I grabbed the first two brushes in the foreground SJ103 and SJ5555 from Marty's samples bag. He had no choice but to let them go lol! However, I could not pry the SJ110 and SJ106 away from him so I have to order them when they come back in stock next month coz they are must haves.
:lol: :laughing-rolling: :mrgreen:

Aw,my my my!! every single one of those pretty is absolutely gorgeous , love them all! :drool: :clap:

arch

Postby arch » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Sonia's post about the Takumi collection mentioned a conversation she had via Instagram about coloring white goat hair brushes using hair dye. By no means am I a professional colorist, but I do use demi/permanent hair color and a range of developers and was interested in other options considering the effects. While Googling for more info about a good combination of products/colors that might work on white (goat) hair, I ended up going with (Jacquard) acid dyes:

I know what you're all thinking: "acid?!" I also wondered if the dyeing process would ruin perfectly good bristles. One of the most FAQs about acid dyes, in the context of dyeing silk, is whether it affects the texture of the fabric and the short answer seems to be "well, duh!" But since I wasn't getting much use out of some of my white goat hair brushes because I couldn't stand seeing them "dirty," I didn't have much to lose even if they didn't end up as soft as they were before being dyed.

There might be members here who are more experienced with using acid dyes and could offer suggestions for getting better results, but as someone who hasn't used them before, the instructions and dyeing process itself was relatively easy. One reassuring aspect about using acid dyes is that if the color is going to bleed, it will happen most noticeably after the initial rinse, which will be an indication that the dye hasn't bonded correctly. Otherwise, dyeing goat hair should be as "permanent" in this application as it is when used to dye other protein fibers such as silk fabric and wool yarn, right?

After initially testing how washfast the brush was by only using transparent/colorless powders, I began to use the dyed fu-pa02 as I normally would — that is to say as a buffing brush for pressed mineral powder foundations — and haven't had any issues with color bleeding so far:

I'm reluctant to say for sure if the texture of the bristles are different since I can't compare the original white and dyed fu-pa02 side by side, but the hair seems exactly the same to me, other than the change in color. I can only assume that the effects of acid dye are more apparent on finer fibers like silk and less so on the goat hair of the fu-pa02? I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried to dye white goat brushes with hair dye, as mentioned by Sonia/Dustin Hunter, instead and what their results have been.

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Nothing to add, but this is very interesting. Thank you for posting, arch.

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:50 am

DSC04150.jpg

Didn't buy, but it was a result of something pricey I bought. A gift from Kihitsu. I had purchased the Kihitsu maple leaf set for a higher price off Rakuten (with Toshiya's help) when the Kihitsu president heard about the price, he felt bad. As a goodwill gesture, he sent me this. Totally unnecessary but I am thankful because it's so cute! :mrgreen: :ty:
Bea

Return to “Beauty General”