Lemmings

Upcoming releases, hit or miss, loves and hates, shopping, storage, organisation, any fluffy topic
SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lemmings

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Carlyn wrote:Hi Arch, how've you been. I remember how selective you are when choosing your brushes. Did you ever get any of these NARS brushes? I haven't bought any brushes in a while except for some surprisingly good Chinese ones. So many brushes with the same look and shapes. I'm waiting for something new and innovative enough to blow my mind and get me lusting over brushes again.

Actually same question for Arch! I wonder when they will be available!
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

arch

Postby arch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:03 am

Carlyn wrote:Hi Arch, how've you been. I remember how selective you are when choosing your brushes. Did you ever get any of these NARS brushes? I haven't bought any brushes in a while except for some surprisingly good Chinese ones. So many brushes with the same look and shapes. I'm waiting for something new and innovative enough to blow my mind and get me lusting over brushes again.

NARS brushes had a reputation for not so nice quality, but when I saw they being offered for 40% off, I decided to take a chance getting them on Ebay. You may have noticed that my selectivity is proportional to a brush's price tag, which is a large part of why I decided to get the #2 and #5 brushes. I'm a fan of the aesthetics in general, so it was an easy sell from the start — the blunt ends on all-black handles remind me of Surratt, in that sense — but I was genuinely impressed by the quality of the hair, especially on the smaller tapered cheek brush. Still surprising to me that goat-hair brushes the size and shape of the #2 are still so rare to find in a permanent line, with the Hakuhodo S/B103 (Wayne Goss 00) being the only one that comes to mind.

I understand China is a source for a lot of the raw materials (e.g., handles, ferrules and hair) for Japanese fude, but glad to see that domestic manufacturers can hold their own when it comes to hand-made brushes considering they are generally more affordable. Would love to know which brushes made it into your collection. I was personally so hyped when Qin posted this photo of rabbit hair earlier this year, my mind immediately imagined all the different brush shapes we'd finally get with bristles I've only ever seen used in LSY's 9 series. So I was that much more bummed to find out that their latest release of salt and pepper brushes didn't include this hair type. Maybe one day...
Last edited by arch on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ann C.

Postby Ann C. » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Arch! I bought some Qin brushes. Those that are made of red squirrel hair. My faves are the eye brushes from their limited edition set that has 2 cheek and 4 eye brushes. When I bought those brushes, the 2 cheeks are no longer available. The brushes has dark brown wood handle with matte black ferrule. I also bought their Redwood set. The handles are sturdy red wood with gold painted brass ferrule. I wish they just use the black ferrule instead. But the brushes are red squirrel too. I love the brush heads. Lastly, Qin has a synthetic brush called S9 that is my HG for foundation application.

arch

Postby arch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:26 am

Ann C. wrote:Hi Arch! I bought some Qin brushes. Those that are made of red squirrel hair. My faves are the eye brushes from their limited edition set that has 2 cheek and 4 eye brushes. When I bought those brushes, the 2 cheeks are no longer available. The brushes has dark brown wood handle with matte black ferrule. I also bought their Redwood set. The handles are sturdy red wood with gold painted brass ferrule. I wish they just use the black ferrule instead. But the brushes are red squirrel too. I love the brush heads. Lastly, Qin has a synthetic brush called S9 that is my HG for foundation application.

I'd be interested to know how consistent you find the quality of Qin's red squirrel hair since you've bought sets from different releases; I've only bought individual red squirrel brushes from Qin, so I only have a general idea about their brush lines overall. Some other Chinese manufacturers seem to use their softest batch of hair during an initial release, but I've read that restocks/re-releases are usually not as good.

SoniaG_Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoniaG_Admin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 pm

arch wrote:
Ann C. wrote:Hi Arch! I bought some Qin brushes. Those that are made of red squirrel hair. My faves are the eye brushes from their limited edition set that has 2 cheek and 4 eye brushes. When I bought those brushes, the 2 cheeks are no longer available. The brushes has dark brown wood handle with matte black ferrule. I also bought their Redwood set. The handles are sturdy red wood with gold painted brass ferrule. I wish they just use the black ferrule instead. But the brushes are red squirrel too. I love the brush heads. Lastly, Qin has a synthetic brush called S9 that is my HG for foundation application.

I'd be interested to know how consistent you find the quality of Qin's red squirrel hair since you've bought sets from different releases; I've only bought individual red squirrel brushes from Qin, so I only have a general idea about their brush lines overall. Some other Chinese manufacturers seem to use their softest batch of hair during an initial release, but I've read that restocks/re-releases are usually not as good.

Me too! I would be interested to know if the quality is consistent with Qin.
Reminds me that when I got the Koyudo white mushroom it was from their very first batches so it was silky soft, I had the chance to compare it with the one Sarah got and the difference was striking. Sometimes I feel bad because I rave about a brush and then when someone gets it, it doesn't feel as soft as the one I own... but the other way round also happened! sometimes the difference isn't noticeable but sometimes we expect more consistency too!
---------------------------
Sonia - SMT admin - An obsession for make up brushes not exactly under control

arch

Postby arch » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:24 am

Makeup artist Regina Gao released a limited edition set of brushes, The R Collection, manufactured by Chikuhodo:

Another makeup artist, Gucci Westman decided to use "cruelty-free nylon bristles" for her brand's brushes, manufactured by Hakuhodo:
L to R: Powder ($85), Foundation ($80) and Blender Brush ($125)

Return to “Make-up brushes”