Custom Order MAKIE

Upcoming releases, hit or miss, loves and hates, shopping, storage, organisation, any fluffy topic
Melissa

Custom Order MAKIE

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 pm

I know that some of you has been anxiously waiting for my Makie report. So here it is. FINALLY!

Sometime ago “212kiki” and I have been talking about how great it would be to have our brushes Makie painted. And I'm sure some of you has been questioning the same thing.

So I went on research mode and came across this website, the only one I could find in English. http://www.echizen-urushi.com/customorder.html
On June 20 I emailed the company and inquired about the custom painting of the Koyudo white mushroom. The very next day I got a reply back from Yoshi Takada in perfect English! I was amazed and so excited since I actually didn’t expect it to work out.

Yoshi Takada is the representative of a traditional Japanese lacquer ware company called Yamakyu Japanware in Sabae City (Fukui prefecture). Fukui prefecture is located on the coast of the Sea of Japan in Chubu Region, about an hour by train from Kyoto. Its known for Japenese traditional crafts such as Echizen lacquerware. Unfortunately nobody at Yamakyu speaks English so I am glad that Yoshi san was kind enough to explain everything to me and arrange all the communications with them.

After much thoughts and emailing about the possibilities I decided to "sacrifice" the mushroom for the sake of "brush research". So scared that the result will not be as I had envision it!

I sent the brush to Yamakyu on June 30. I was told that it will take at least 2-3 weeks to finish the Makie design I wanted, it all depends on the weather circumstances (temperature, humidity etc). They started the work on the design on July 11 and it was finished on July 29, sent back to me on August 4 and received it on August 11. I changed the design at the last minute from Sakura blossoms to a Red rose since the MK2 brush already has the Sakura blossoms on it.

There are several different Makie techniques, you can read about it here: http://www.urushi-kobo.com/decoration.html

Depending on your budget, preferences and the item itself you can get almost any design that you want. Bare in mind: the more details, the higher the price tag!

Based on my budget and design I was advised to go for the Togidashi-Makie ("Togi"), or they sometime call it the Migaki-Makie "Migaki". Both means "polishing" and would be perfect for its durability and glossy finish on the brush.

The price tag for my brush was: JPY14577 incl EMS shipping and PayPal fees. Considering the time and effort they put into it, its relatively “cheap” to my opinion! And of course you can go crazy and order a much more complicated Makie. So it’s up to you!

The most expensive Makie design I came across was a Sailor Fountain Pen, being sold at JPY1000000 (YEP, that's 6 zeros u see there!). Just to give you an idea of the Makie price range.

Here are a 2 great vids I found showing Makie and Urushi lacquer painting process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tq_dyooUCc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPrtb9AcSR8

Yoshi san also explained to me what they have done with the brush and sent me some pics. Too bad I didn't get any pics when the golden powder was being sprinkled or the brushes they used. Will ask for that next time! This is what he wrote to me:
Step 1: Makie uses very find gold powder, complete masking (protection) is required.

Step 2: Urushi painting procedure. You see the color of leaves brown which is the original color of Urushi.

Step 3: Gold powdering procedure.

Step 4: Now the color of leaves become gold. At this procedure, image is like silhouette.

Step5: Each procedure requires two to three days to make dry. We repeat Step 2 to Step 4 procedure many times to make small parts of design.

Step 6: Polishing procedure that makes surface fine finish.

He also told me about the Artisan who painted my brush. A Makie “painter” is actually called a Makie “Shokunin”. The name of my Shokunin is Ms Kiyomi Tomita. Here is what Yoshi san wrote about her: “She became Makie Shokunin when she was 20 years old so she already has roughly 30 years experience. Female Makie Shokunin is very rare and she is recognized as one of the top.”

WOW, now I do appreciate the mushroom even more and feeling so honored to own one of her arts! Ms Kiyomi Tomita is also featured on the website:
http://www.echizen-urushi.com/shokunin.html. And of course I am planning to visit Fukui prefecture next year and meet her personally. That would be AMAAAAZING!!

It is very impressive when you see what it takes to create a “simple” golden line! The whole process is so delicate and extremely detailed and requires a lot of skills. Its not just some golden or red paint they slapped on the items. I haven’t really looked into Makie and Urushi before, but after this experience and reading about it I am truly impressed and the mushroom has become: “MY PRECIOUS” now…

Conclusion:
Is it worth it: 100000% YES. The result is stunning, especially when you know how much time and effort it takes to create the design. The Makie does really reflect the excellent skills of the Shokunin.

My pictures don't do the actual painting justice. I did my best to capture all the details. Hopefully you can see it!

So, if you want to find out yourself go ahead and create your own dream Makie brush ;-) Its possible now………I promise you won’t regret it!

You can send your Makie inquiry to: info@echizen-urushi.com and I’m sure Yoshi Takada will be more than happy to discuss all your wishes within your own budget ;-)
Last edited by Melissa on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My IG: @nluvsbeauty
Beauty is in the eye of the
brush hoarder ;-)

Melissa

Re: Custom Order MAKIE

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Pics during the painting process:
Attachments
image.jpg
brush hoarder ;-)

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Mind blowing final result :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance:
My name diagonally placed as Sonia said it brings good luck. And I can definitely use some luck to save for the Brush Festival next year :) :) :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Melissa on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brush hoarder ;-)

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Close up of the Makie:
Attachments
image.jpg
brush hoarder ;-)

gatos

Postby gatos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Oh myyyyy! :scared-eek: I had been waiting for this! THANK YOU Melissa for "sacrificing" your brush in the name of brush science :lol: And for sharing the whole story, I love how we got a glimpse of the artist that did this for you, it's beauuuuutifuuuullll!!! :romance-hearteyes: And how special that it was done just for you!

You can really appreciate the details more in the close up shots, I can only imagine how much better it is IRL.... OMG.

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm

I made a short vid which I posted on IG :dance:
http://instagram.com/p/rpso5OxHp3/
brush hoarder ;-)

gatos

Postby gatos » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 pm

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Koyudo mushroom in the end! :confusion-seeingstars:
The though of having a special design made just for me... wow!!!
:ty: again for sharing this with us!

Anna

Postby Anna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Melissa, finally you show us your mushroom. :ty:

It is amazing! :clap: :clap: :clap: congratulations to this piece of art!

What are the golden letters on the "back" saying?
It is "i don't show you my mushroom" or something similar? :shock:

Anna

Postby Anna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Melissa, I just stupid and excited and forgot to read everything - now I read that is your name...

For the next brush you can probably consider my suggestion....

Melissa

Postby Melissa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:39 pm

:ty: Girls....Im brushstoned atm :laughing-rolling:
I can keep staring at it all day long and run my fingers over the painting again and again and again. U can feel every details at yr finger tips! Guess I shouldnt do that too much huh. LOL

Im more than happy to sacrifice the mushroom for brush science :laughing-rolling:
My first but certainly NOT my last :dance:
brush hoarder ;-)

Return to “Make-up brushes”