When/Where/How did you first come across Japanese brushes?

Upcoming releases, hit or miss, loves and hates, shopping, storage, organisation, any fluffy topic
brushjunkie

When/Where/How did you first come across Japanese brushes?

Postby brushjunkie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I was thinking about the first time I ever heard about these brushes which have done so much damage to my wallet in the last 6 years and have led me all the way here to SMUTville and you brush pimps. :laughing-rolling:

Started thinking back to where and when I had first come across it and I remembered that I had been watching youtube videos at the time. I came upon some obscure haul video from the NYC Makeup Show in 2008 that was done on a bus of all places. It was here that a very brief mention was made of some brush company, stating that a major makeup artist said they were the best brushes. I knew the name was Japanese. Something made in Japan where their products are always finely manufactured and endorsed by some famous makeup artist (wonder who it was)???

It grabbed my attention like no other. I was giddy with excitement. I still remember the feeling. I quickly paused that video to write down the name Hakuhodo and from there I have never looked back. I started scouring the internet and at that time there was not much online about this brand. I remember posting in Sprecktra asking if anyone had heard about it but of course none had. Eventually I found the US website and made my first order in July 2008. It was a little lonely for me in the first few years, but I look around now and see how different it is!

Look what this little video (@3:35min.) made me do and where it has taken me!!! :character-oldtimer: :roll: :doh: :confusion-seeingstars: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze9xWl7IPkw

What about you? What was your journey like to SMUTville?? :laughing-rolling: :angelic-little: :auto-car: :auto-biker:
Bea
More of a brush hoarder than a brush user
https://www.facebook.com/pages/honeyjr/157851587703282

212kiki

Re: When/Where/How did you first come across Japanese brushe

Postby 212kiki » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:22 am

hahaa Bea my story is kind of similar but gladly i was not THAT lonely :laughing-rolling:

I saw the first japanese brush posts at delicate hummingbird blog, but when the several posts from her popped up in my RSS back then i never heard something about the brands so i ignored it. (i think she was one of the first who wrote about the brushes)
But then one of my fave local bloggers was at imats london Feb. 2012 and spoke very shortly but impressed about hakuhodo in her imats haul video ... That brought me back to that http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.de/ and the research began "what should i order first" ...
Sure after the first Haku brushes infected me to buy more, i was in search of nice preloved haku brushes on Livejournal and our sweet Melissa came to my live there and you know you're lost and there is not way out of it anymore when that happens :D

We explored together our first chikuhodo order and sure found SMUT while we researched for chiku.
So here i'm, nervously waiting for one the badest sins on brush earth, which i never ever thought i would do at the beginning :whistle: :angelic-innocent: :dance:

Its very very nice to have SMUTville because there is still not that much addicted love here in the local beauty forum world... And i found so much awesome girls here :romance-grouphug: and the best thing is when i can push bea to buy more sins muhahahah :teasing-poke:

Kay

Postby Kay » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:01 am

The video that sucked me in was MissChievous' rave about Hakuhodo brushes in 2009. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDCG7xaL1I
Almost 5 years and 200 brushes later, I am surprised that I am still buying. :)

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Kay wrote:The video that sucked me in was MissChievous' rave about Hakuhodo brushes in 2009. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDCG7xaL1I

Kay, I will let you in on a little secret. I played a part in how those brushes came to her attention. :shhh: :shifty:
Bea

alk1113

Postby alk1113 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm

brushjunkie wrote:
Kay wrote:The video that sucked me in was MissChievous' rave about Hakuhodo brushes in 2009. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbDCG7xaL1I

Kay, I will let you in on a little secret. I played a part in how those brushes came to her attention. :shhh: :shifty:

Lmao so funny!

Mine: I saw a few posts on Makeup Alley so I scouted out Koyudo. Google searches led me too Smut!! It's been history ever since :)

midnitedesire

Postby midnitedesire » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

OK, let's admit, brush is a weakness of mine for a long time but I've never really 'collected' it,not worth collecting, anyways! Well...I think it was one day in 2009 that led me to japanese kumano brush ,I was at the MAC counter after chatting a bit with a MAC MA ,I think I've mentioned that at the time I was probably own like 50 mac brushes and stamped onto the handles, some of the brushes are either made in france usa japan or china and out of curiosity makes me asked her ,why is that so? why japanese-made brushes seem softer? she says, they have been made by different manufacturers and I asked her a few questions more but unfortunately, she didn't know so I googled it and found hakuhodo then rmk , lunasol and tesshyu collection and so on

For the SMUTville ,I did a google search for rae morris brushes. I have bookmarked that page but I didn't even realize it was Sonia's blog then again after Hakuhodo have released j series Im considered the J as a replacement for my old S that chipped at the butt-end ,I slowly started poking around and next thing I know, I'm starring at an order confirmation screen for more brushes and it's been all downhill since then lol :lol:

@ Bea, I've bought the hakuhodo S because you know.....I saw her(Julia Graf) review as well LOLLLLLLL :lol: :laughing-rolling: YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!! :angry-devil: :angelic-red: :lol:

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:05 pm

212kiki wrote:hahaa Bea my story is kind of similar but gladly i was not THAT lonely :laughing-rolling:

Sure after the first Haku brushes infected me to buy more, i was in search of nice preloved haku brushes on Livejournal and our sweet Melissa came to my live there and you know you're lost and there is not way out of it anymore when that happens :D

So here i'm, nervously waiting for one the badest sins on brush earth, which i never ever thought i would do at the beginning :whistle: :angelic-innocent: :dance:

Its very very nice to have SMUTville because there is still not that much addicted love here in the local beauty forum world... And i found so much awesome girls here :romance-grouphug: and the best thing is when i can push bea to buy more sins muhahahah :teasing-poke:

-----------------------------------
^^^^^^ Debil, debil, debil, debil.......... :angelic-red: :doh: :confusion-seeingstars:
Bea

brushjunkie

Postby brushjunkie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:08 pm

@ Bea, I've bought the hakuhodo S because you know.....I saw her(Julia Graf) review as well LOLLLLLLL :lol: :laughing-rolling: YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!! :angry-devil: :angelic-red: :lol:[/quote]

Bahahahhahaa Tesla! Guess you guys haven't realized I am the biggest debil, helping spread the word around all those years ago. :lol: :laughing-rolling: :mrgreen:
Bea

gatos

Postby gatos » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:35 pm

How interesting to find out about these stories! Look at you Bea, calling everyone here brush pimps, when you've been THE original pimp all along :laughing-rolling:

For me it was rather recent. Sometime early last year I was looking for reviews of the Nars Yachiyo because it just looked really beautiful and traditional. I don't remember which blog it was I found, but they were saying how it was rather rough and pokey (confirming my fears that I would never find a soft face brush in "mainstream" high end brands. I tried them all and always left empty handed. Oh, except for that awful Guerlain meteorites brush that I hate) and they mentioned the Yachiyos by Hakuhodo as a better alternative.

So off to Hakuhodo I went, and ran away immediately as I was totally overwhelmed by the colossal size of their collection. But I never forgot about them and later that year I started to do my homework and look for reviews. Hence landing myself in SMUTville :). It took me about 3 months to decide what would go in my first order. And well, here I am many many orders later! And I never did get around to ordering a Yachiyo :lol:

Kay

Postby Kay » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 pm

@Bea, so the devil has been lurking and finally revealed herself! :angelic-red: :lol: Well, I don't regret starting this obsession and I truly appreciate having guidance through this blog/forum. I think I would have accumulated too many mediocre brushes without it!

Return to “Make-up brushes”