Aurora Borealis

Before posting or replying, please introduce yourself to the SMT Community!
Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Postby Aurora Borealis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 am

Hi everyone, my name is Kristin and I thought it was about time I joined the party. I accidentally stumbled over Sonia’s blog (+ Forum) and have been following it now for the last year and a half. I have learnt so much and got completely hooked on brushes. It’s the perfect obsession for someone who likes art, beautiful handcraft and Japanese culture, mixed with makeup. I have started to get a few brushes; Chikuhodo, Tanseido, Takeda, Hakuhodo and several from Koyudo (it was just too easy ordering from CDJapan). Some brushes I use every day others not at all, but guess that’s part of the learning process. When I started I lived in the US, which was very easy and convenient, but now I’ve moved back home to Norway (hence the username) and struggling with the VAT as others here from Europe, but it’s definitely worth it. I have quite a few brushes on my list for 2015 and then there is probably something unexpected that comes up that I need because my life just doesn’t feel complete without it (guess you know the feeling) …..

Jeanette

Re: Aurora Borealis

Postby Jeanette » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Kristin, welcome here from Denmark :D

You got me very curious regarding which brushes you use most and which ones not at all? I also have quite a few that I don't use, and among them some that I don't even treasure. I think that when buying online there will be some misses, and also even other people's recommendations are to be assessed, because they may have a different makeup routine or preferences than one self. So probably part of the learning curve as you suggest :think:

Lyanna Stark

Postby Lyanna Stark » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi Aurora, welcome!

argiro

Postby argiro » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Welcome Kristin . I can wait to hear more about your brushes

Aurora Borealis

Postby Aurora Borealis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:49 am

Thank you everyone :) and hi Jeanette, yes a fellow Scandinavian. The brushes I don’t use at all is the ones that I bought from Tanseido (I didn’t get that many; a cheek, a highlighter and some e/s) the cheek brushes seems to be a bit to floppy and not dense enough, I agree with Sonia to prefer a round ferrule to get the density right. I end up only using the e/s when all my others are too dirty, though the red sq. e/s is the one of softest I have and it’s beautiful. If I bought from them now I probably would have bought some different brushes and probably ended up with a different experience (still pondering about the biggest red sq. cheek brush).

Then also the Haku G5554 I can’t seem to get right, but this might be due to bad technique rather than the brush itself (have to keep practicing my foundation routine obviously). So every morning I go back to my Fu-Pa2, I also have the Fu-Pa13 that some prefer, but for me the 2 does the job quickest and best. I will also stop buying any synthetic concealer brushes, it’s so much better with proper Kolinsky hair (for concealing redness around my nose I use a Kolinsky e/s brush from Koyudo). The other brush I end up using every day is the Z-4 and also lately the Z-5 I have learnt to appreciate the versatility of.

argiro

Postby argiro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:15 pm

Kristin,i want to place an order for Tanseido. You make me hesitate!which brush you have and you did not like.i would like to order SS14,YSC17,AQ20,AQ14YWH12 some that i remember. is it any of them? :doh:

Aurora Borealis

Postby Aurora Borealis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Argiro, this was all my personal experiences and I probably sounded a bit negative. Maybe I just was unlucky and picked some bad ones. I have the YSC17 which is super soft but not very dense and I like them a bit denser. The AQ14 I like a lot as I said, but don’t use it much, but it is one of the softest I have, so therefore I’m thinking about getting the AQ20. I don’t have the SS14, I picked one of the flat ones which were way to floppy, but if I were to choose again I would have tried the SS14 – probably a better pick. I think it’s worth trying the Tanseido and see for yourself if you like them or not, as I said it’s part of the learning experience.

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:38 pm

I haven't been very fond of my Tanseido purchases either. The bristles are really sparse and therefore floppy. And the goat bristles in the larger brushes are quite coarse.

I do love my YWQ9 goat e/s brush though. It is my preferred laydown brush. It is a tiny bit smaller than Mac 239, but it is soft and so controllable due to its size. The YWQ7 is nice too for very small precise application though still very soft/floppy, but I don't use it very much.
And I know that Sonia loves the YSC17 squirrel blush brush, but apparently she is okay with it being less dense.

I also have the G5554, and I don't use it. I like the G5552 for cream blush, but I find the G5554 to be too big for that and too small for foundation.

Aurora Borealis

Postby Aurora Borealis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:09 am

Cool, not just me that not use that foundation brush. I also wanna say that some brushes I don’t use are in a positive way, that they are just too beautiful to get used and dirty. Like I’m saving them for something, for what I’m not sure…….. Lately it’s the two Can.sq. e/s from the Etoile set and the two Takeda Can.sq e/s, I can’t get myself to start using them

Jeanette

Postby Jeanette » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:28 am

Aurora Borealis wrote:Cool, not just me that not use that foundation brush. I also wanna say that some brushes I don’t use are in a positive way, that they are just too beautiful to get used and dirty. Like I’m saving them for something, for what I’m not sure…….. Lately it’s the two Can.sq. e/s from the Etoile set and the two Takeda Can.sq e/s, I can’t get myself to start using them

Oh, you really should! They are divine! Don't miss the experience of using such great brushes :D

Return to “Welcome thread”